none
Trouble provisioning a PWA site RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a bit of a problem setting up a brand new server with Project Server 2013.  I have tracked it down to the following part of the site -- Enable-SPFeature

When I run it, I get the following

Enable-SPFeature pwasite -Url http://portal.sharepoint.dev/itpwa
    Enable-SPFeature : Failed to find Service Application. Either the Service Application does not exist or the Service
    Application proxy is misconfigured.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Enable-SPFeature pwasite -Url http://portal.sharepoint.dev/itpwa
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (Microsoft.Share...etEnableFeature:SPCmdletEnableFeature) [Enable-SPFeature
       ], SPException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletEnableFeature

I am not sure where to go next outside of completely rebuilding the VM.

Here is what I have done so far

• Validated I am on the last SP and CU (September 2014 is confirmed)
    • Removed Service Application and Proxy, removed Database, stopped and restarted service on server
    • Tried creating using different credentials
    • Tried creating using new application pool
    • Tried creating using different database names
    • Broke process of settings a PWA up down into individual PowerShell steps. All succeed until the "Enable-SPFeature" call.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Note: I have 4 other VMs that were setup identically (by me) and all are working fine.  This one was working and then stopped working after a reboot. I'd like to figure it out so as to avoid the issue in the future.

Also here is the event log details from creating the PWA instance from inside CA

Failed to provision site ITPWA with error: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Failed to find Service Application. Either the Service Application does not exist or the Service Application proxy is misconfigured.
       at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.ProvisionFeatureEventHandler.FeatureActivated(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActivationCallout(Boolean fActivate, Boolean fForce)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.Activate(SPSite siteParent, SPWeb webParent, SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPFeatureActivateFlags activateFlags, Boolean fForce)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.AddInternal(SPFeatureDefinition featdef, Version version, SPFeaturePropertyCollection properties, SPFeatureActivateFlags activateFlags, Boolean force, Boolean fMarkOnly)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.AddInternalWithName(Guid featureId, Int32 compatibilityLevel, String featureName, Version version, SPFeaturePropertyCollection properties, SPFeatureActivateFlags activateFlags, Boolean force, Boolean fMarkOnly, Boolean fIgnoreMissing, SPFeatureDefinitionScope featdefScope)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.AddInternal(Guid featureId, Version version, SPFeaturePropertyCollection properties, Boolean force, Boolean fMarkOnly, SPFeatureDefinitionScope featdefScope)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.Add(Guid featureId)
       at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.PsiServiceApplication.EnsureProvisioningFeature(SPSite site)
       at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.PsiServiceApplication.CreateSite(ProjectProvisionSettings provset)

Shawn

Monday, November 10, 2014 9:16 PM

Answers

• Have you also checked if the web application is using the default proxy list and the default proxy list includes the Project Service Application? Also, you can try to use a new web application and see if that would help

The Service Application is not automatically associated with the web application if the web application is using a custom group of connections

Paul

• Marked as answer by ravensorb Monday, November 17, 2014 2:36 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 10:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Shawn,

I would check the following:

1. if the Project Server Service Application  has been created

2. Project Server Service Application associated with your web application(s)

3. it may also be a case of something went wrong when the service application was created so you may want to delete the Project Server application and then re-create it (make sure the service application is added to the default proxy group)

Hope this helps

Paul

Monday, November 10, 2014 9:34 PM
  • Thanks and yep, I can confirm that I already did those steps.

1. Service Application has been created both via the UI and via PowerShell (both succeeded)

2. Project Server Service Application was associated with the web app via PowerShell (think this is automatic when using CA)

3. Tried this multiple times :)

Thanks!

Shawn

Monday, November 10, 2014 9:40 PM
  • Have you also checked if the web application is using the default proxy list and the default proxy list includes the Project Service Application? Also, you can try to use a new web application and see if that would help

The Service Application is not automatically associated with the web application if the web application is using a custom group of connections

Paul

• Marked as answer by ravensorb Monday, November 17, 2014 2:36 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2014 10:25 PM
  • Good question, that got me thinking.  Since I deleted the service application and the proxy, I think I forgot to re-associated it with the web app when I created it a 2nd time.

Hmm, really thought I had checked that before posting. Thanks!

Its up and running again.  Now I just need to figure out why it went down in the first place :)

Shawn

Monday, November 10, 2014 11:16 PM
  • Glad it is working now

If any answer was helpful please mark it as the answer so others can use is as reference

Paul

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:48 AM
  • Hi Shawn,

Hope you are doing well. I am having the same issue. I will really appreciate if you can please share the steps you did to resolve the same. 

P.S. In my case association is okay

Thanks

Rizwan Mahfooz

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:15 AM