Mount Backup has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to open a backup and about 89% of the way through the process I get a dialog that says:

"Mount Backup has stopped working"

There is another greyed dialog that says:

"Cannot connect to the backup service on the server.  Verify that all services are running."

The event logs on Home Server indicate that the restore completed successfully.  However, there is an error message that says the client aborted with reason 2.

On the client side, there are several error entries leading up to one saying the app crashed.  They are:

Process MountBackup failed at d:\qhsv1_rtm_qfe\qhs\src\backup\util\backupprotocol.cpp(526).

From WL-HOME-SERVER, received ClusterData response in state AwaitingEndRestore.

Faulting application MountBackup.exe, version 6.0.1500.6, time stamp 0x46e0a90c, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a7a6, exception code 0x80000003, fault offset 0x00047dfe, process id 0xd08, application start time 0x01c8b204556280d5.

I tried rebooted Home Server and reinstalling the connector on the client side, but haven't had any luck. 

Thoughts?

Friday, May 9, 2008 6:53 PM

Answers

•      For what it's worth here's what solved my mountbackup not finishing on a Vista Laptop problem. My Network has XP and Vista machines and HP Mediasmart Server ex470 with two 500GB drives running about a month. It also has a Netgear Storage Central 101 with two 250GB drives as network storage and an HP multifunction 7310 (print/scan/fax/copy) via ethernet.  The XP laptop has no backup opening problem, but it does see the 7310 as Drives W, X, Y, Z (memory card slots) and the sc101 as drive E. 
        Because I've heard of "Z" issues with the Home Server sortware, I detached the SC101 drive (E) which runs on Z-San software and VOILA!, the Vista backup opening problem went away. Then I re-attached the SC101 and the probolem did not come back. At least I know now that if it does come back, I'll just detach the SC101 drive. I've been intending to do that anyway since the server's purpose was to replace the SC101. Perhaps my experience will give some insight to your problem or someone else.
    Good luck,
    Arthur
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 8:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There have been numerous mention of this, both during Beta and more recently. Various solutions have worked for differing clients, so you need to go through quite a few possibilities!

If you use search, you will get most of these idea.

Colin

Friday, May 9, 2008 7:15 PM
  •      For what it's worth here's what solved my mountbackup not finishing on a Vista Laptop problem. My Network has XP and Vista machines and HP Mediasmart Server ex470 with two 500GB drives running about a month. It also has a Netgear Storage Central 101 with two 250GB drives as network storage and an HP multifunction 7310 (print/scan/fax/copy) via ethernet.  The XP laptop has no backup opening problem, but it does see the 7310 as Drives W, X, Y, Z (memory card slots) and the sc101 as drive E. 
        Because I've heard of "Z" issues with the Home Server sortware, I detached the SC101 drive (E) which runs on Z-San software and VOILA!, the Vista backup opening problem went away. Then I re-attached the SC101 and the probolem did not come back. At least I know now that if it does come back, I'll just detach the SC101 drive. I've been intending to do that anyway since the server's purpose was to replace the SC101. Perhaps my experience will give some insight to your problem or someone else.
    Good luck,
    Arthur
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 8:35 PM
  • Arthur,

Quite a few of these problems have been cleared by the recent updates to WHS, so while there are still a few cases where they occur, thankfully they are a lot less than previously.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 8:41 PM
  • Thanks Colin. Before my last successful attempt, I spent about two hours on the phone with an HP tech who after numerous tests and logs being studied said, "We know about the problem and are working on it, but we have nothing to fix it yet."I'll keep my fingers drosed, for all of us.
    Arthur
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 8:46 PM