none
Cryptic Error Message When Posting a Reply RRS feed

• Question

• I opened a new thread in the C# General Forum.  I received a reply and attempted to reply.  When I clicked the Submit button, I received the following error "There was an error with your request."  I made a slight change and clicked Submit again.  I received the same error.  I clicked Cancel and received a dialog telling me that if I did not click Submit, I would lose my changes.  I clicked OK and then re-started my reply.  I repeated the steps above again 2 more times.  Then I gave up.  When I went back to look at the thread, all 4 of my replies were posted.
    • Changed type Mike Walsh FIN Friday, September 12, 2008 4:31 AM Only questions can be marked as answered
    Friday, September 12, 2008 3:45 AM

Answers

• I hope you deleted the duplicates ! Some people don't bother and leave it to the Moderators.

The way to avoid this is to NOT make a slight change to the text. Then, if the first message has gone through, you will receive a message saying that duplicate posts are not accepted. If it did not go through, your second post will go through and will be the only one.

Friday, September 12, 2008 4:31 AM
  • <pure speculation>

Since the message actually submits, I would guess that the error has something to do with sending alerts.

If this is the case, in our next release (mid-Oct) we have done a couple of things that could help: 1) rewritten the alerting code and 2) handled validation errors better.

MAtt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Friday, September 12, 2008 5:26 PM

All replies

• I hope you deleted the duplicates ! Some people don't bother and leave it to the Moderators.

The way to avoid this is to NOT make a slight change to the text. Then, if the first message has gone through, you will receive a message saying that duplicate posts are not accepted. If it did not go through, your second post will go through and will be the only one.

Friday, September 12, 2008 4:31 AM
  • Mike Walsh MVP said:

I hope you deleted the duplicates ! Some people don't bother and leave it to the Moderators.

No offense intended, Mike, but not to put too fine a point on it, horsepucky.

Cruise for a while through the EW forum. You will find sometimes eight, ten, a dozen identical posts where a user kept clicking Submit when it didn't apparently work. You do not get a different error message concerning duplicate error messages. The system sits there and blithely ignores your repeated clicks (except not really, of course, since it is reposting the bloody message every time you click), leaving the original error message there, until you give up and either use Back or click the forum breadcrumb at the top to return to the forum, at which time you find that the message actually did post. Multiple times, if you let it.

The more experienced forum users have learned to simply copy their reply (just in case) and return to the forum. There they (usually) find that the message posted. But we have a very high volume of new forum users over on the EW forum who don't have any idea that the little button, the one that says "Submit," doesn't. So, they click away, and we end up wading through a river of duplicate messages.

Given that one of perhaps the most fundamental functions of forum software, next to the ability to post a message, is the ability to submit a reply, one would think that this might be right at the top of the list for bug fix. But, we've been futilely complaining about it for weeks, and no one seems to be paying a damned bit of attention. The recent system maintenance only managed to introduce a new bug (all posts are being marked as abusive, even those from before the maintenance; lovely).

I imagine the devs are backing up to the pay desk to pick up their checks so they don't have to show their faces. I would.

cheers,
    scott

Friday, September 12, 2008 6:30 AM
  • Well all I can say is that that isn't my experience in the SharePoint forums.

There are very occasional *duplicate* (not multiple posts) and these always have had some difference - usually in the Subject used but sometimes in the text.

Also I have often been told I have a duplicate post when posting a *reply* to different (!!) threads so I've learnt to change the text every so slightly when doing so. (Usually this is a reply saying it's in the wrong forum and I'm moving it)

Perhaps I'm just lucky not to have anything to do with the EW forums (whatever EW is .....)
    Friday, September 12, 2008 8:21 AM
  • Mike Walsh MVP said:

Well all I can say is that that isn't my experience in the SharePoint forums.

There are very occasional *duplicate* (not multiple posts) and these always have had some difference - usually in the Subject used but sometimes in the text.

Also I have often been told I have a duplicate post when posting a *reply* to different (!!) threads so I've learnt to change the text every so slightly when doing so. (Usually this is a reply saying it's in the wrong forum and I'm moving it)

Perhaps I'm just lucky not to have anything to do with the EW forums (whatever EW is .....)

Yeah, the response we get from the devs is "we don't see this internally," as if, because of that, all of us who aren't internal and who grapple with it daily are either liars or too unimportant to worry about. Oddly enough, when I first complained about this, I never saw it here in the Bugs forum, but only over on the Expression Web (EW) forums (which is no longer the case). That may be because I spent little time here, and was usually posting an original post (not reply) when I did.

Which brings up another point that I just noticed the last couple of days. This issue with the Submit button doesn't seem to prevail when the post is an original post. The error message doesn't appear, the abominable, gods-cursed Telerik HTML message editor closes normally, and you're rolled up to view your just-posted message as expected. It only seems to be on Reply or Quote that the Submit button shytes the bed. Maybe that's a clue for the devs. GOK they need... nah, I'll avoid the obvious shot. But, I sure hope they get this thing fixed, soon.

cheers,
    scott

Friday, September 12, 2008 2:55 PM
  • <pure speculation>

Since the message actually submits, I would guess that the error has something to do with sending alerts.

If this is the case, in our next release (mid-Oct) we have done a couple of things that could help: 1) rewritten the alerting code and 2) handled validation errors better.

MAtt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Friday, September 12, 2008 5:26 PM