How to verify filesystem integrity on WHS PP2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP MediaSmart EX470 with 2GB of RAM and an upgraded Athlon 64 LE-1640.

My roommates and I play Left 4 Dead a few nights a week so I wanted to use the system as a dedicated server for Left 4 Dead during that time.

I ran into some issue and one of the users on the Steam forums suggested that I not use a volume which is a storage pool volume. I have subsequently removed the app from the storage pool and moved into a non-pool volume. The same user also said that there may be some corruption associated with installing the software to a storage pool..

Is there any easy way I can check the integrity of the pool volume?
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:26 PM

Answers

• Is there any easy way I can check the integrity of the pool volume?
    Beyond running chkdsk on all storage pool volumes, not really. But off the top of my head I can't think of any reason why installing and running the L4D server on D:, but outside of the areas that Drive Extender is concerned with (so not in D:\Shares, D:\DE, D:\Folders), should cause any problem at all.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:43 PM

All replies

• I have a HP MediaSmart EX470 with 2GB of RAM and an upgraded Athlon 64 LE-1640.

My roommates and I play Left 4 Dead a few nights a week so I wanted to use the system as a dedicated server for Left 4 Dead during that time.

I ran into some issue and one of the users on the Steam forums suggested that I not use a volume which is a storage pool volume. I have subsequently removed the app from the storage pool and moved into a non-pool volume. The same user also said that there may be some corruption associated with installing the software to a storage pool..

Is there any easy way I can check the integrity of the pool volume?

Was the volume previously part of the storage pool i.e. did you remove the drive from the storage pool?

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Is there any easy way I can check the integrity of the pool volume?
    Beyond running chkdsk on all storage pool volumes, not really. But off the top of my head I can't think of any reason why installing and running the L4D server on D:, but outside of the areas that Drive Extender is concerned with (so not in D:\Shares, D:\DE, D:\Folders), should cause any problem at all.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:43 PM
  • The volume is the D: storage pool.

It was installed into D:\Steam\ until I uninstalled Steam and reinstalled it into C:

The Steam forum post I am talking about is : http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846552

The last responses lead me to believe this guy is talking about WHS pre-PP1
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:41 PM
  • The volume is the D: storage pool.

It was installed into D:\Steam\ until I uninstalled Steam and reinstalled it into C:

The Steam forum post I am talking about is : http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846552

The last responses lead me to believe this guy is talking about WHS pre-PP1

I agree.  He is referring to Toolkit v1.0 (which is old) and seems to be referring to the pre-PP1 data corruption bug.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:03 AM