OneCare doesn't recognize the DVD discs I am trying to use for files backup RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to backup my computer files to a DVD using OneCare.  The program gets to the point of compressing the files and then when I think it is starting to copy them to the DVD (I can hear the DVD drive whirr then stop and whirr again), the disc carrier slides out and on the screen a window pops up with the message:  "Backup could not write to the current disc.  The disc might be corrupted.  Please remove it and insert a blank recordable disc, and then click OK."

The discs are brand-new, in a five-pack.  I've tried three different discs from the pack and get the same result from each.    They are Memorex DVD-RW discs, Part No. 32025745.  I don't have detailed information on the drive, but what I have says it is either a HLDS Double-layer 16X multi-writer DVD drive, or a Double-layer 16X multi-format DVD drive.

The computer is a Gateway Model GT5426E, and I'm using Windows Vista.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:06 PM

Answers

• Before I saw your latest reply, I bought a 10-pack of Memorex DVD-R discs, Part  No. 32025669, and they worked perfectly in the OneCare backup program.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 3:04 AM

All replies

• OneCare has never liked RW discs consistently, so I would recommend trying a DVDR disc.

Did backup work for you previously on this PC to DVD or is this a recent installation?

One other thing to check is that there is no other software installed that may be hanging onto the drive for its own purposes, preventing OneCare from writing to it. This could be InCD from Nero or a similar Packet Writing software package from another maker (Roxio - DirectCD) or a media detection program such as one that installs with the deluxe edition of Nero.

You can also contact support for help with this.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:06 PM
  • Thanks, Steve, I'll get some DVD-R disks today and see what happens.  I don't believe there is any other software installed that could cause the problem.  This is also the first backup I've tried.  After three failures with the DVD-RW disks, I tried a CD disk, and it worked OK although it might have required a dozen or so to complete the backup!

I tried a DVD movie and it worked fine, so the drive seems to be OK, maybe evidence that it is the disc type that is the root of my problem.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:23 PM
  • Well, I went to a store to get a pack of DVD-R disks and saw there were DVD-R and DVD+R, and didn't know which to buy so I didn't buy either!

Back here, I looked in OneCare's Help site and was directed to try slowing the write speed of the DVD drive.  Unfortunately the instructions for Windows Vista don't seem to direct me correctly.  I was told to get into explorer.exe then to right click on the DVD drive, go to its Properties, then to the Recording tab and (here's the rub) to Select a write speed.  There is no "Select a write speed" anywhere I looked.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:15 PM
  • You can try either +R or -R as I'm sure that your burner will support both, but before spending more money on this, I do recommend that you reach out to support who can work with you to resolve it or identify the cause based on their experience in this area.

-steve

Saturday, December 22, 2007 2:59 AM
  • Before I saw your latest reply, I bought a 10-pack of Memorex DVD-R discs, Part  No. 32025669, and they worked perfectly in the OneCare backup program.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 3:04 AM
  • Excellent! I still don't know what it is about RW discs that OneCare doesn't like, but I'm glad that you got it working.

-steve

Saturday, December 22, 2007 3:38 AM