WHS on Shuttle SN41G2 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I re-used an old Shuttle SN41G2 barebones computer.  Put WHS OEM on it with 1g of Ram, Athlon XP 3000+, 3x WD 500g hard drives (1.5TB), and a linksys 10/100/1000 nic card on a cat 6 network.  The unit has been running flawlessly for about 6+ months.  Have a internet weather station running through it as well as handeling Squeezecenter to handle all my music wirelessly  throughout the house.

I've seen some articles about using 2g or RAM, anyone else have a similar system, curious to see if it's worth upgrading the RAM for a performance boost.

Thanks...
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 5:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    1 GByte of RAM should be enough to cover the functions of Windows Home Server and the most Add-Ins.
    Usually 2 GByte is recommended only, because the 2 GByte modules are not much more expensive than 1 GB modules and offer more reserves for future developments.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, December 7, 2008 10:52 PM
  • Due to lack of SATA connection and some overheating issues I have retired the Shuttle SN41G2 in favor of the Shuttle K45B with ICE cooler with the following:

Intel Celeron E1400 dual core CPU. 
    2Gig of memory
    2 x 1TB Hitachi hard drives (internal)
    1 x 1TB Hitachi hard drive (USB External)
    (3TB Total capacity)

The system is running noticably faster and cooler.  I have the same weather station as before and am running a Squeezecenter plug in for music connection to my Squeezeboxs.  System has been running well for over a month.

A slightly smaller case with only 2 internal drive bays but it seems to be made for WHS.  I highly recommend it.

Regards

ME
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 2:47 AM