WHS Recovery/Reinstall Fails 0x80070032 RRS feed

• Question

• My primary HDD of my WHS is failing (clicking and won't boot). OS is all updated with PP1 and I have a total storage pool over 10TB. All of my files are duplicated.

I replaced the primary SATA HDD and using original install DVD attempted to do a recovery installation of the boot drive. This progresses quite far but at almost completion an error occurs and states the following:

Installation of WHS failed. The request is not supported. (error code 0x80070032).

I attempted this twice, each with a different hard drive and the same error occurred.  I don't have the primary HDD backed up.

How can I resolve this?
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    I've not seen that error message on WHS. However, on server 2003, it usually indicates that the drive you are trying to use has errors in the partition.
    The way I've cleared this previously, has been to add the drive to a working system, then from a command prompt, enter 'diskpart' then 'list disk'.
    Ensure you have the correct drive, then 'select disk (a)' where (a) is the problem drive.
    When you have the correct drive, then enter 'clean' which will clear any existing partions etc, then 'exit'.
    Re-install the drive in the server, and have another go.

HTH,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 8:14 PM