none
Main H.D. Failure unable to boot - any ideas? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I had my primary 80 WD drive fail on me today (I have the dreaded ticking noise coming from the drive).  Unfortunately this is where the O.S. was installed.  My question now is what do I do?  I don't want to lose the data on my other two drives but obviously I would like to get my server back up and running on a new drive.  Is it possible to do a restore of some sort that will not completely dump the two other storage drives I have in the system currently?

Any ideas or useful suggestions would be much appreciated.  My wife will kill me if we lose all those digital photos. Sad

Thanks!

Bob

Monday, March 24, 2008 11:01 PM

All replies

• You need to replace the failed drive.  I suggest IDE for IDE, or SATA for SATA, then connect it in place of the failed drive.  Then you will need to perform a server reinstallation.  That will preserve the data on your other drives. Make sure when you do this that you choose "reinstallation", and don't proceed past the point where you're asked what kind of installation you want to perform unless you've chosen that option. If you're not presented with that option, or you wnat to play it extra safe, you can remove the data drives from your server and connect them to another PC. Then you can copy any files out of <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:13 AM