Deploying Edge server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are a pretty small company and we don't have the ressources to deploy so many different servers.

Now I have OCS2k7 deployed internally on one physical server.

I want to deploy the edge server to give access to outside users to : Connect to live meeting , have access to video and audio on live meeting and have access to shared applications and files on live meeting.

I want to deploy the minimum physical servers for this , but on the document it's talking about edge server , director and http proxy , do I really need this 3 separate servers ?  Or can I just use the Edge server on one server and it will work if I open the right ports ?

Thank you for your help.

Friday, April 27, 2007 3:57 AM

Answers

• Hi MehdiS,

I have a very small rig set up at the moment for demonstration purposes.  I have installed a single OCS2007 Standard Edition Server and a single Edge Server and it works just fine.

The Director Server is only required if you have multiple OCS2007 Enterprise Edition Servers in a Pool, its role to direct incoming users to their correct home server.  Since you have a single OCS2007 Standard Edition Server, you will not need the Director.

With regards the HTTP Proxy, the documentation suggests you use ISA server to provide reverse proxy for the deployment.  Unfortunately, I do not have access to an ISA server so I have had to build my rig without one.  What I can say is that everything seems to work fine apart from Live Meeting Externally, but I am not convinced that reverse proxy is the issue there.

One thing to note when your configuring your Edge Server, you will need either multiple IP addresses assigned to the external interface, or you will need to change the port numbers for the Web or AV service.

Heres the way I have everything set up at the moment:-

INTERNET > NETGEAR (NAT'd) > EDGE SERVER > OCS2007SE

Good Luck!

Simon.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 7:31 AM
  • A HTTPS reverse proxy (such as ISA) is necessary for connecting to web conferencing using the Live meeting console. HTTPS is the mechanism by which the client downloads the presentation, handouts, etc. from the OCS server. If this is blocked by a firewall with no reverse proxy to pass this through, the client cannot connect to a meeting.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 11:31 PM

All replies

• Hi MehdiS,

I have a very small rig set up at the moment for demonstration purposes.  I have installed a single OCS2007 Standard Edition Server and a single Edge Server and it works just fine.

The Director Server is only required if you have multiple OCS2007 Enterprise Edition Servers in a Pool, its role to direct incoming users to their correct home server.  Since you have a single OCS2007 Standard Edition Server, you will not need the Director.

With regards the HTTP Proxy, the documentation suggests you use ISA server to provide reverse proxy for the deployment.  Unfortunately, I do not have access to an ISA server so I have had to build my rig without one.  What I can say is that everything seems to work fine apart from Live Meeting Externally, but I am not convinced that reverse proxy is the issue there.

One thing to note when your configuring your Edge Server, you will need either multiple IP addresses assigned to the external interface, or you will need to change the port numbers for the Web or AV service.

Heres the way I have everything set up at the moment:-

INTERNET > NETGEAR (NAT'd) > EDGE SERVER > OCS2007SE

Good Luck!

Simon.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 7:31 AM
  • Thank you for your answer.

Actually , I have it working fine. The only problem I have is to connect to the live meeting from outside. Do you know how can I fix this ?

Note : I have just one IP address for the external interface and I left all ports to default , and everything is working fine. (except the live meeting)

any ideas ?

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 8:24 PM
  • Unfortunately I cant answer that one...  and the reason I cant is becuase I am having exactly the issue.

I would appreciate it if anyone could offer some advice on why Live Meeting does not work going through the Edge Server.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:51 AM
  • A HTTPS reverse proxy (such as ISA) is necessary for connecting to web conferencing using the Live meeting console. HTTPS is the mechanism by which the client downloads the presentation, handouts, etc. from the OCS server. If this is blocked by a firewall with no reverse proxy to pass this through, the client cannot connect to a meeting.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 11:31 PM
  • I do have a ISA Server, but interesed how you built the single Edge Server. Does it have a single NIC? It was mentioned that it is NAT'ed, so is there a single IP address assigned?

Thanks

Tom

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 12:17 AM