Advanced Backup Features? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

So I got my WHS up however have some questions on the backup. From what I can see the ONLY options are to select a time and what you don't want backed up and how many days to keep the backup in the week, day, and month. What I would like to do is have each computer backup differently such as say one daily 3am-7am, One monthly every sunday at 2pm, and one every week 10am-5pm. Is this possible or are the settings ONLY universal? Are there any 3rd party programs that would do this for me? Can you turn off say daily backups yet enable weekly?

Also when selecting what to back up is there a way to pick only what I do want not "what I want to exclude." 

Thanks all.

Friday, April 2, 2010 6:03 PM

All replies

• The settings are universal. If backups are enabled for a particular home computer, that home computer will attempt to back up every night if it's on and plugged in to the wall; it will also attempt to back up every night if it's configured to wake for backups and it's not turned off (i.e. if it's in hibernation or sleep). This doesn't take up a lot of space on your server, because the technology used to store backups only stores one copy of a cluster of data, no matter how many backups (from one or more computers) might contain that cluster of data.

It's also not possible to choose only certain folders for backup, except by excluding all but those folders. But it's not really desirable either, in my opinion, because Windows Home Server is designed to make it easier to recover a complete computer from a disaster such as a hard disk failure.

You can learn more about the technology behind the backup features of Windows Home Server by reading the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 2, 2010 6:35 PM