none
Thread movment to another fourm

Question

• I was responding to a thread when I was pulled away on something else. I finished the reply and posted it. Now the thread nolonger exist, which tells me that it has been moved. Since email notification seems to be out on the MSDN forum to know that the OP replied to my reply, how do I go about even finding the thread by subject or my user-id if possible. 
    • Edited by Eyal Solnik Sunday, October 5, 2014 9:26 AM Moving to relevant forum.
    • Moved by Eyal Solnik Sunday, October 5, 2014 9:27 AM Irrelevant to C#
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:52 PM

Answers

• Under "Quick Access" on the left you should be able to select "My Threads" and see all threads where you have participated, regardless of forum. In my experience, this list include cases where the thread got moved. The My Threads list defaults to most recent first.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Sunday, October 5, 2014 6:02 PM
  • Hello,

You should be able to find it in your activity.

Each thread has a GUID, so If you were working from an RSS feed, you'd still be able to find it across the forum.

That at least works within forum brands. Not sure if it would work across brands - IE if a thread was moved from MSDN to TechNet, it would probably break.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, October 6, 2014 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hello,

There is a thread id but once it is moved the id changed for the move so other than a general search thru the forums there is no method to find a specfic thread unless you had subscribed to the thread.

I have not noticed any issues with notifications, they are coming through immediately as always.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:31 PM
  • Not only am I not getting emails, I have no way to even check mark on that I want to be notified via email. On the reply post, there use to be a checkbox for that and it disappeared that was always set to checked.

On top of that, I don't see the bell icon indicating that it was a thread I replied to when I am  signed in to the MSDN fourms.

This is IE11 and FF on Windows 8. I use IE 9 on Windows 7 at work and it's the same situation of not knowing what thread I have replied to by the bell icon nor is the notification checkbox even there for a reply post.

Friday, October 3, 2014 12:26 AM
  • Hello,

I would report this in Forum Issues

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Friday, October 3, 2014 12:44 AM
  • It seems that my whole settings got jacked-up for some reason on my profile with email address was gone, alerts unchecked, and bell icon notfication truned off. A lot of people are having problems with the MSDN forums based on the treads posted to the forum I was sent to, which relvoved my issues. The MSDN forums are buggy.
    Friday, October 3, 2014 2:41 PM
  • I was responding to a thread when I was pulled away on something else. I finished the reply and posted it. Now the thread nolonger exist, which tells me that it has been moved. Since email notification seems to be out on the MSDN forum to know that the OP replied to my reply, how do I go about even finding the thread by subject or my user-id if possible. 

I assume that this happened within 24 hours of your opening this thread.  If yours was the first reply, it's quite possible that the thread was deleted by the OP.  I have seen no recent threads in the Off-Topics forum with your avatar name, nor any such posts in your recent history. 

However, if the post was deleted while you were posting, then you should have seen an error message after you clicked 'Submit'.  Once a reply is made to a thread, then the OP can no longer delete the entire thread by deleting their own initial post.  I'm guessing yours was the first reply, the OP deleted the original post, and you replied to a deleted post.  Deleted does not mean erased.

If an attempt was made to move the thread while you had an open reply, then the thread mover should have seen an error message.  The move would have failed because, as Kevin pointed out, the thread ID would have changed.  I have seen both of these scenarios first hand over the years.

Rudy   =8^D

Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."

http://thesharpercoder.com/

Friday, October 3, 2014 3:03 PM
  • @ruddog2

At least,  I know email notification is working again.

Friday, October 3, 2014 3:13 PM
  • Under "Quick Access" on the left you should be able to select "My Threads" and see all threads where you have participated, regardless of forum. In my experience, this list include cases where the thread got moved. The My Threads list defaults to most recent first.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Sunday, October 5, 2014 6:02 PM
  • Hello,

You should be able to find it in your activity.

Each thread has a GUID, so If you were working from an RSS feed, you'd still be able to find it across the forum.

That at least works within forum brands. Not sure if it would work across brands - IE if a thread was moved from MSDN to TechNet, it would probably break.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, October 6, 2014 2:01 PM
  • Darnold924's Threads

Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."

http://thesharpercoder.com/

Monday, October 6, 2014 5:12 PM