Subfolder - "File Access Denied. Contact Administrator" RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day!

First, apologies for sounding like a newbie, but i'm not all that technical with servers.  I'll do my best here...

In 'Public' folder, I have multiple sub-folders that I have used for years (on homebuilt WHS, HP Media WHS, and current HP WHS - EX485 upgraded to software version 3).  Prior to upgrading and currently, I cannot open files within the the Publlic folder in one particular sub-folder ("Home").  Of course this is the folder that my wife needs access to urgently for some reason.  Yes, i'm in big trouble at home!

I've read for hours on this forum and others...

Guest account is off.  Time Zone is correct.  Permissions on WHS console are correct.  Login names and passwords match.  Security Tab exists in properties, but of course I can't change anything with it.  Re-boot does nothing.  Only other symtpom is Twonky eating up 98% CPU rescources, but I RDP'd in and killed that service to see if it would help (it didn't). Have tried to access from all of the accounts with permissions to that folder, no joy.  Symptoms do not occur with any other folder or sub-folders.  I'm not sure where to go next with this. 

Saw some info on some registry changes, but that's a bit too scary for my skills on a server where 15 years of photos live.  Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated! 

Thanks in Advance,

david

Monday, November 29, 2010 1:54 PM

Answers

• Are you able to access the folder when you rdp as admin?

If not, I beleive one way would be to claim ownership of that sub folder, but I'm not sure exactly how whs will respond to that so I'll let someone else tell you if that's a safe approach...

• Marked as answer by bozner Monday, November 29, 2010 4:10 PM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 2:46 PM

All replies

• Are you able to access the folder when you rdp as admin?

If not, I beleive one way would be to claim ownership of that sub folder, but I'm not sure exactly how whs will respond to that so I'll let someone else tell you if that's a safe approach...

• Marked as answer by bozner Monday, November 29, 2010 4:10 PM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Ok, as simple as that sounded, it WORKED!!  Even after a re-boot I can get into those files from any account! 

Thank you!!

Monday, November 29, 2010 4:10 PM