What's the difference? RRS feed

• Question

• Between Mesh and Microsoft Sync Framework? Is Mesh just an implementation of Sync Framework using FeedSync, and Live Mesh an actualization of that incorporating cloud storage and passport authentication?

I'm a little confused because Ori's video and blogs and such say the Moe API is coming out later this summer, but Sync Framework already has CTP2 out?

I was thinking that Live Mesh is the cloud and the Live Desktop, and that Mesh itself is something like the local MOE client. http://localhost:2048 and all that. So then what's the Sync Framework?

Is Moe the rendering engine for Sync Framework giving the POX, JSON, DLR kit type stuff; and Sync Framework is what's doing the heavy lifting?

Where are the boundaries between the technologies?
    • Edited by WillFa Friday, May 30, 2008 12:38 AM expound
    Friday, May 30, 2008 12:28 AM

Answers

• Great, I think you've got it, given today's options! :)

Again, once we release more details later on this year, things should get clearer (hopefully!).
    Richard Chung [ Live Mesh ]
    • Marked as answer by WillFa Friday, May 30, 2008 8:01 AM
    Friday, May 30, 2008 5:53 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Will,
    Live Mesh uses FeedSync, which is not an implementation of the Sync Framework.  See a previous thread here that might help explain the differences.

Thanks,
    Richard

Friday, May 30, 2008 1:35 AM
    Answerer
  • According to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C88BA2D1-CEF3-4149-B301-9B056E7FB1E6&displaylang=en for the CTP2 download:

"The extensible framework includes built-in support for synchronizing relational databases, NTFS/FAT file systems, FeedSync compliant feeds (formerly known as Simple Sharing Extensions), devices and web services."

Is another team stealing your code to make their bonuses? ;)
    Friday, May 30, 2008 2:10 AM
  • I certainly hope not! :)

The Sync Framework is compliant with FeedSync, in that data that is synchronized via FeedSync can be synchronized by the Sync Framework and vise-versa.  FeedSync is a set of extensions defined in this specification that allow synchronization, and not actually a shared code library (though implementations certainly could be shared).  Live Mesh is built with FeedSync ingrained in the system with its own implementation.

Does that help?
    Friday, May 30, 2008 3:27 AM
    Answerer
  • Not really. :)  I hope I'm not over simplifying. "built-in support for synchronizing ... FeedSync ... feeds"  doesn't mean what I think it means?
    Or just "we don't share the same codebase."

So suppose I have an App today, and I'm thinking about off-line replicated storage. Why wait for the MOE API? What does MSF give me vs Mesh? I couldn't just add my sync support via MSF over FeedSync and subscribe to a mesh feed afterwards right? Because today (subject to change, CTP isn't even beta, yadda yadda) Mesh adds in Live ID authentication. Mesh also adds cloud storage and Live Desktop too, no wait, that's Live Mesh.

Maybe I'm just confused. Watching Ori's video, he keeps saying Mesh and showing a lot more functionality than is publicly accessible in the CTP. Are "Mesh" and "Live Mesh" used synonymously in this case? Everyone's throwing around the word "Mesh" (it's even in the FeedSync spec you linked)

And MSF is a set of tools and classes that allow you to create your own syncronization code, independent of any larger service,  that may or may not be replicated in a mesh topology.

I think I got it. Groove-y!

............................doh.

Friday, May 30, 2008 5:02 AM
  • Great, I think you've got it, given today's options! :)

Again, once we release more details later on this year, things should get clearer (hopefully!).
    • Marked as answer by WillFa Friday, May 30, 2008 8:01 AM
    Friday, May 30, 2008 5:53 AM
    Answerer
  • Thank you very much for your time, DevDuck. It helped a lot. :)
    Friday, May 30, 2008 10:47 PM