recreate user folder - access defined RRS feed

• Question

• I accidentally deleted my user folder (Jon under Users) (using Windows Explorer on a networked PC) and cannot find any way of recreating it. I have tried adding various permissions but keep getting 'Unable to create New Folder - access defined. Seems odd that it is possible to have sufficient permissions to delete a folder but not to create it.

Any suggestions?

Jon
    Jon Stranger
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Jon,
    the simplest solution would be to delete the user in the console and recreate the account after doing so.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by jstranger Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:54 AM
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Jon,
    how do you try to create it?
    The only supported way is through the Windows Home Server console in the Shared Folders section (I also assume, that the message is "Access DENIED").
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:32 AM
  • Hi Olaf

You are right - I did of course mean 'denied' - either I wrote it too early in the morning or there is some 'autocorrect' going on here!

I have tried recreating the folder in various ways. While I can create a shared folder called Jon in the WHS Console, it appears directly under the shares directory and there appears to be no way of creating it under Users (which does not appear in the Shared Folders listing - although I assume the WHS install created it as I do not recall creating it myself). And I guess it's not too surprising that I can't create it other than via the Console given the additional DFS behaviour and duplication options. Not a big deal I suppose, but a bit irritating.

regards

Jon

Jon Stranger
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Hi Jon,
    the simplest solution would be to delete the user in the console and recreate the account after doing so.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by jstranger Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:54 AM
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:58 AM
  • I accidentally deleted the folder that was named with my username inside of \\WHSServer\Users\ from my laptop.  I didn't want to delete and re-create the user account so I rebooted my Windows Home Server and after the server came back up the username folder was automatically re-created.  I was able to access the folder from my laptop and read/write to it with my existing user account.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:17 AM