Problem with connections cabled, but working wireless RRS feed

• Question

• I am able to connect to shared folders and using the connection software when the computer is connected wireless, but it is not working when it is cabled.

However, the Windows Home Server is finding the computer because the backup-function is working.

I have checked "my network places" when I am cabled, and the server does not appear on the list

Best regards
    Sveines
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Svein,
    instead of the second router use a switch for the connection - this should solve your problems. Switches for home use are not that expansive any more, and they pass packets within the subnet without thinking to much, while routers tend to play intelligent and may block the traffic, if they see the packets from one private network to the next.
    Also be aware, that "My Network Places" is not always reliable, instead try the shortcut Shared folders on Server or try to ping the server.
    Are both machines in the same TCP/IP subnet? (ipconfig /all, entered in the command line, should show you)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 12:38 PM

All replies

• I forgot to mention I am using two routers. The wireless router is the first one, and the second one is the one I am cabled to.

The reason why I am using a second router is the distance from the base point for my internet connection, and the first wireless router. So I have stretched a cable from the first router to 3rd floor to the next router.

The WHS is connected by cable to the first router.

Could not find anything in the settings for my second router that solved the problem. I have a Linksys router.

best regards
    Svein
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:40 AM
  • Hi Svein,
    instead of the second router use a switch for the connection - this should solve your problems. Switches for home use are not that expansive any more, and they pass packets within the subnet without thinking to much, while routers tend to play intelligent and may block the traffic, if they see the packets from one private network to the next.
    Also be aware, that "My Network Places" is not always reliable, instead try the shortcut Shared folders on Server or try to ping the server.
    Are both machines in the same TCP/IP subnet? (ipconfig /all, entered in the command line, should show you)

Olaf
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 12:38 PM
  • Hi Olaf!

Thank you, I had a switch available, and that solved the problem. I hoped to avoid the switch as I am afraid it will reduce the speed of my connection.

best regards
    Svein
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 1:18 PM
  • Hi Svein,
    since the most routers have also only built in switches (and usually only 10/100 speed), the connection with a separate Fast Ethernet or Gigabit switch will not be slower.
    Olaf
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 3:42 PM