Network Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question about getting my all my computers (3) talking to each other and the internet.

My main PC with Vista Premium and my WHS with the CTP build are attached to a Netgear switch, the Netgear switch is attached to a router which I plug my Windows XP laptop into and the router is connected to a Comcast Cable modem.

I can get any one of my computers connected to the internet through the cable modem by resetting the hardware, but I can't seem to get everything talking to each other and the internet at the same time.  Is there a piece of software in Vista or WHS that will do the equivalent of XP's Network Setup Wizard?  Or will XP's Network Setup Wizard work on WHS and Vista?

Some sort of USB based network configuration manager would be nice.  A USB key that has a piece of software on it that I could run on all computers on my network and it would facilitate network setup of all devices.  Is this available already and I'm not aware?

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 7:37 PM

All replies

• Since you say that you can get any ONE system on the internet (with a hardware reset) I suspect that you may have the connection between your modem and your router misconfigured. The router should have a WAN port for connection to the modem and one or more LAN ports for connecting to local equipment. The WAN port may also be named INTERNET or some other name to imply it connects to the outside world.

Comcast normally will issue an IP address to the first system that requests it. This would typically be your router, which would then issue private addresses to your other equipment and act as a proxy to the internet. It sounds like the modem is plugged into one of the LAN ports and this is causing one of your PCs to grab the address (the LAN ports act exactly like a switch) instead of the router.

Check your connections and reset everything. If the router is properly configured it should get an IP address via the modem and then issue addresses to your client machines via DHCP (this would be the typical out of the box configuration for all common consumer routers). Your client PCs should be configured to use DHCP (the default for Windows) as well. Once you've gotten that far you can then go ahead and configure the WHS box with a static IP address on the same subnet as your clients.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 12:28 AM
  • I have a Motorola surfboard cable modem hooked into a Dlink router to a dlink switch and ran the Connector CD which configured everything quite nicely. Did this fail on you? Do as suggested and check your cables and then the TCP/IP settings. I'm thinking that you shouldn't have a static IP for the router, I'm not saying you won't, but it is just rare these days. I'd bet it isn't a WHS issue.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 5:49 AM