hp server RRS feed

• Question

• Have had the server since launch, never had a problem with it.  Today I can't access it from any of the computers.  Notice the health light is blinking blue.  Started to troubleshoot, have eliminated anything on the network being a problem, even replaced the ethernet cable.  Tried a recovery, but even the recovery software can't find the server -- nothing else has changed, such as a firewall blocking access, etc.  Any ideas?  I am stumped ... thx in advance for any tips, etc.  Right now it's a big paper weight.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:04 PM

All replies

• Have had the server since launch, never had a problem with it.  Today I can't access it from any of the computers.  Notice the health light is blinking blue.  Started to troubleshoot, have eliminated anything on the network being a problem, even replaced the ethernet cable.  Tried a recovery, but even the recovery software can't find the server -- nothing else has changed, such as a firewall blocking access, etc.  Any ideas?  I am stumped ... thx in advance for any tips, etc.  Right now it's a big paper weight.

Did you try rebooting it (either gracefully or a hard shutdown)?  Is the home server icon on your clients gray (or some other color)?  Are you able to ping it, either by name or by IP address?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:30 AM
  • well let me go from step one .i turn it on and it turns on with aqua blue power,network and health .however the health light blinks non stop the hard drive lights do not go on at all. it seems like the system as not booted up so the recovery will not work. .i will say that every once in a while by shutting it off(hard boot) and on it does go all the way on but only last for about 20 min then drops. at that point the health light will remain steady on in aqua color but it will no longer be on the network. could it be a ethernet card problem? is there a way of testing it?

Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:03 AM
  • i should also note that when it is turned on and the health light is blinking it is blinking in aqua blue at no time does it turn red. just blinks in the aqua blue
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:08 AM
  • What happens, if you disconnect the server and one client from the Internet and connect them via a separate switch or with a crosslink cable to each other? (Eventually its also enough to disconnect the router from the Internet line (just in case your client attempts to resolve to the name hpserver.yourispsdnsdomain in the Internet.
    Before you begin the recovery, also uninstall the current Connector Software from that client.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:41 PM
  • well i don't know if you can put a crosslink cable into it and even if it did work, i don't think it boots up far enough for the ethernet card to be working if it did wouldn't the client pc see it in connector or just under the network tab? also dosen't explain why the blue health light just flashes and it doesn't boot up.could it be an indication of a virus?can windows server software get a virus? The blue light blinking must mean something..i thank you for the idea. it was a good thought. just not sure if i want to use a cross link cable unless it was tried before
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Connectivity would not work if name resolution goes the wrong way due to a misconfiguration issued by the DHCP server in the router.
    In recovery mode the system does not boot from the disk, but from flash memory inside the system.

For the meaning of light codes consult your manual or the HP product support.

Olaf
    Friday, October 16, 2009 2:56 PM
  • its not getting that far.the router is not getting a signal from the server because the server is not booting up.it"hangs" mid way i dont knnow how far because of course i don't have a video monitor on it.think if it as a machine that only goes as far as the windows start up screen then freezes.i can only guess that is what is happening because i can't see it boot up like a normal pc.
     the manual as well as the internet has no showing of what the blue light flashing means ,which is why i asked here.if i call hp support they will charge me.appreciate any help,regards aj
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:17 PM
  • Hi,
    did you try already the recovery installation (which includes to press a certain button at a certain time during power up of the server)?

You might also check with the experienced HP Home Server users from http://www.mediasmartserver.net/.
    Btw. - it is alway helpful to name the exact WHS model which you have.

Olaf

Friday, October 16, 2009 10:16 PM
  • my apologies, its the HP Medismart server ex487, and a i said the before the server does actualy boot up but hangs as if its missing files? so the router does not see it .it seems you must have a solid blue to use the network card. or the network card has failed but there is no error message to it
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 3:13 AM
  • sorry about that.its the ex487 and it doesn't seem to boot allthe way up to get to that point were yoou can use the recovery .it need to be "seen" on the network before a recovery can be done. i think the blue light flashing is a hardware problem no ones heard of.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 3:29 AM
  • Well, with an "unknown" hardware problem the HP PSS is still your best choice.
    You can plug off the disks one by one (to remember the position) and attach them to a client PC as secondary drive.
    Check, if data is still visible on them and run a chkdsk /r on the drives.
    This would help to make sure, if the disks are an issue or not.

(Or replace one disk with an empty, detach all other disks and attempt a factory reset.)

Olaf
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 4:56 PM