Opening/converting .mny files from Money 3.0 in Money Plus Deluxe Sunset on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Money 3.0 on an XP computer.  I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 installed and was able to successfully install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset and replaced the mnyob99.dll file.  I did not change the registry entry.  I copied my .mny files to TIS0004200A(C:) Program Files (x86) Microsoft Money Plus which is where the sample money file was. I opened the Money Plus file, clicked File --> Open.  Got message "do you want to convert <filename.mny> now?"  Answered Yes.  It starts to convert and then get "there has been an error reading or writing to disk"  followed by " <filename> could not be converted"   What do I do?
    Monday, November 9, 2015 5:01 PM

Answers

• You should *not* put your *.mny file within Program Files. Instead, copy it to your Documents folder or other place that you have full access to.

Try copying your old Money file fresh to Documents. The conversion still may have a problem. I have not worked with Money version 3, and I don't know how that is going to work. It seems worth a try.

• Marked as answer by greenhorn12 Tuesday, November 10, 2015 2:26 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 12:09 AM

All replies

• I had a similar problem trying to convert my Money 99 (version 7) file under Windows 7 and 8.1.  I ended up installing V7 instead of Sunset and it runs under both systems.
    Monday, November 9, 2015 5:31 PM
  • You should *not* put your *.mny file within Program Files. Instead, copy it to your Documents folder or other place that you have full access to.

Try copying your old Money file fresh to Documents. The conversion still may have a problem. I have not worked with Money version 3, and I don't know how that is going to work. It seems worth a try.

• Marked as answer by greenhorn12 Tuesday, November 10, 2015 2:26 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 12:09 AM
  • That worked.  Thank you so much.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 2:26 AM