B/U & Restore Problems RRS feed

• Question

•  

I had a SATA drive die...my d: drive...it was my main filestore (I keep only system files and apps on my c: drive...no user files). I've never had to restore before and assumed that the default backup was taking care of me. I'm a web designer and now I discover that NO html, htm, aspx, asp, php or any of my other web files have been backed up! What's up with that?

Also, I had always assumed (erroneously) that I'd be able to restore by folder...why is that not possible? I really only needed one folder immediately for a site that got hacked and now I have nothing! No web files because they apparently aren't imporant enough to include in a backup by default and I was forced to restore over 350GB (several times because the system updated mid-restore and even though the restore was running, there apparently is nothing that indicates to the update program that it would be a bad idea to reboot mid-restore) only to find I have none of my most important files...my clients are not going to be happy with me. Help me understand what's going on.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:34 AM

Answers

• The first question that I have is, are you using the 2.0 beta or the 1.6 released version?

As far as I know, the files you have listed *are* backed up. They are not listed as excluded files in OneCare's help for 2.0. We just went through a discussion on this topic here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2365340&SiteID=2

Basically, the files you listed should have been backed up. If, however, these files were stored in \Windows or \Program Files, they may not have been backed up. If your D:\ drive is scanned for backups, then the files should have been backed up. You should also be able to browse the backup set for specific files. You can't restore by folder, though you can select files by type or you can browse the backup set and select specific files.

-steve

Thursday, November 15, 2007 1:27 PM

All replies

• The first question that I have is, are you using the 2.0 beta or the 1.6 released version?

As far as I know, the files you have listed *are* backed up. They are not listed as excluded files in OneCare's help for 2.0. We just went through a discussion on this topic here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2365340&SiteID=2

Basically, the files you listed should have been backed up. If, however, these files were stored in \Windows or \Program Files, they may not have been backed up. If your D:\ drive is scanned for backups, then the files should have been backed up. You should also be able to browse the backup set for specific files. You can't restore by folder, though you can select files by type or you can browse the backup set and select specific files.

-steve

Thursday, November 15, 2007 1:27 PM
  • I should have included two more things - sorry, I'm a little sleep deprived!

First, I am very sorry to read that your drive failed and that you are having problems with the restore. I remain hopeful that the files have been backed up and that you can restore them.

And, secondly, the option to restore by folder has been asked for in the past. Personally, I don't use OneCare backup due to the fact that it is too simplistic for my needs. I backup using a combination of manual and automated sync processes to external drives and over the network to other computers, along with Acronis True Image, Windows Backup on a Vista Ultimate machine, and Windows Home Server (which is awaiting a rebuild due to a hardware failure, so that option is currently down for me...). Much about backup has been changed between 1.x and 2.0, yet much remains the same and I believe that there should be some more options available for how and what to backup and restore other than the current files by type model.

-steve

Thursday, November 15, 2007 1:33 PM
  • Steve,

Thanks for trying to help me out...I'm still in denial at this point. I picked up an external case for the crashed SATA drive and am going to try to run EasyRecoveryPro6 on it...but so far my system doesn't even see it.

As for my configuration, I'm running version 1.6.2111.38. I've had Live OneCare for a couple years, and I admit I haven't even tried to restore before...as an IT professional, that's probably a bad thing to admit...always test your recovery plan now and then.

So, I went to the dialog "restore by file type" expecting to see a whole range of extensions and what I got initially was something like, "do you want to restore pictures, documents, music...?" Arrrgh...dummy-proof stuff usually never works. It did offer to show me extensions after a lot of chugging and churning; this is what it says:

Backup file types

The types of files that Windows Live OneCare version 2.0 can back up has changed since version 1.6. OneCare won't back up any files that are located in the Windows folder or the Program Files folder. In addition, version 2.0 can no longer back up the following file types:

• BAK
    • COM
    • DB
    • DLL
    • DRV
    • EXE
    • ICO
    • LNK
    • OST
    • QQQ
    • SYS
    • TMP

OneCare can back up the following file types:

Outlook and Outlook Express files
     Financial files
     Music files
     Photos
     Document files

Other files

This includes:

• File types that aren't included in the list of excluded file types
    • File types that aren't in one of the other categories

Reading that, it seems that there's no exclusion to the file types I had in my folders, and it restored all my file structures and folders, but in the folders where my many web sites used to reside, there are only PDFs, image files and other miscellaneous docs and stuff that I used as source material...no web files of any kind! I'm at a loss. In the restore list under "other files to include" it shows there are 0 bytes worth of files in the backup set in that category. I just took the defaults and it seemed to be backing up everything when it ran. Ideas?

Also, that information was informative in another way. What if I lost my c: drive? How would I restore my system? Sounds like I ought to go get me something by Veritas or Symantec.

By the way, I'm running a Core2 Duo system with 3.75GB RAM; 1.75TB of various storage (three internal, one external...that one's the backup) a 512MB PCI-e cared driving 22" & 17" monitors. I have Home Premium on the box, but I have a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate on the shelf...not sure there's any advantage worth installing it for.

Saturday, November 17, 2007 3:28 AM
  • I can't tell you why the web site files weren't backed up if you used the default settings for backup and accepted all file types. Since the drive is toast, it's not possible to revisit what the settings were. I'll see if I can get confirmation that the .htm file types should have been backed up. What other file  types were there?

As for the loss of C:\ or the system drive - OneCare doesn't back up the system, it backs up data. The theory is that you would reinstall Windows from the OEM restore CD and programs as desired, if not along with the OEM restore. Once it was restored, you'd install OneCare and then restore your data. If you want image backup, I can recommend Acronis True Image, which I use personally.

-steve

Monday, November 19, 2007 2:39 AM