Ribbon workbench not displaying managed solutions RRS feed

• Question

• hi there,

I'm not able to view managed solutions in Ribbon Workbench tool, is there any limitation or I've to make any changes in setting (if any).

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Kiran.

Monday, February 3, 2014 12:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Kiran,

Guido is correct. The Ribbon Workbench does not show Managed Solutions because you cannot change the ribbon xml in a managed solution directly. The Ribbon Workbench will export the solution you select, edit the ribbon xml and then re-upload and publish. Since the managed solution cannot be exported, this process does not work. 

If you would like to edit the Ribbon of a managed solution component, what you need to do is create an unmanaged layer ontop of the managed solution by creating a solution and adding the entity you wish to customise. When you load this solution, the managed ribbon elements will show up as though they are just part of the out of the box ribbon. You can then Customise them in the same way you would customise the standard buttons. 

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by Kiran Madhav Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:45 AM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:54 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,
    You can´t make any change on a Managed Solution. If you want to make a customization you need to create another Solution and customize the Ribbon there.
    Monday, February 3, 2014 12:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    You can´t make any change on a Managed Solution. If you want to make a customization you need to create another Solution and customize the Ribbon there.
    Monday, February 3, 2014 12:13 PM
  • Hi Kiran,

Guido is correct. The Ribbon Workbench does not show Managed Solutions because you cannot change the ribbon xml in a managed solution directly. The Ribbon Workbench will export the solution you select, edit the ribbon xml and then re-upload and publish. Since the managed solution cannot be exported, this process does not work. 

If you would like to edit the Ribbon of a managed solution component, what you need to do is create an unmanaged layer ontop of the managed solution by creating a solution and adding the entity you wish to customise. When you load this solution, the managed ribbon elements will show up as though they are just part of the out of the box ribbon. You can then Customise them in the same way you would customise the standard buttons. 

Hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by Kiran Madhav Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:45 AM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:54 AM
    Answerer
  • I faced the same issue, but with non-mannaged solutuins.I can see no solution in Ribbon. Who can help?
    Monday, March 6, 2017 11:59 AM