none
Can I put drives from an EX475 into a EX490 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My HP EX475 has died with a dead power supply.  I have bought a new HP EX490 and was wondering if i can just install the data drives from the old box and retain the data and folders?

I do have a backup on a seperate drive but am looking to save a lot of work getting the new box running.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

RaNDY

If you go through a whole day without learning something new, you wasted it!
    Monday, August 16, 2010 11:43 AM

All replies

• You can copy the data from those drives, but Windows Home Server is not able to jsut automatically integrate them into server storage with your data intact.

If your backup is current and valid, and the backup drive is sound (connect it to a computer and run chkdsk on it to make sure), just move the drives over, add them to server storage (they will be reformatted when you do so) and restore the backup. It will probably be easier.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 16, 2010 12:50 PM
  • What about a situation where one has two identical WHS machines (ie. 2 EX495's) and one fails due to a hardware malfunction but the drives are okay. I would think one could simply pull the drives and re-install the system drive and any data drives in the other machine and no further action would be required with perhaps reactivating the software - is this assumption correct?
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:26 PM
  • If the hardware is identical, yes, that would work, probably with reactivation as you note. If the hardware isn't identical, you may have driver issues.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:26 PM