Ethernet over Powerline RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 PC's connected to my server of which two are using Linksys PLE200 powerline units.  Backup is no problem but I've yet to be able to restore using the PLE200's.  I've tried loading additional drivers taken from the driver's folder in the backup.  Still a no-go.  It can't find the server.

Has anyone used Powerline technology to restore a Homeserver backup?

Thanks

Lane
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 4:21 PM

Answers

• Yes, Lane, I use NetComm NP285s throughout my place; have run WHS since the public beta, 2 desktops + 2 laptops, have done about 4 test restores and about 3 for real and have never had a problem that was caused by the EoP units.

Bill

Thursday, June 5, 2008 6:49 PM

All replies

• Yes, Lane, I use NetComm NP285s throughout my place; have run WHS since the public beta, 2 desktops + 2 laptops, have done about 4 test restores and about 3 for real and have never had a problem that was caused by the EoP units.

Bill

Thursday, June 5, 2008 6:49 PM

• Thanks for the reply Bill.  Did you have any problem initially when you first tried a restore?  If so, what did you do to correct it?  Do you have to load drivers prior to the restore?  Lastly, do the NP285's have built-in encryption?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm fishing for a solution.

Thanks

Lane
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 7:20 PM
  • You shouldn't have to use drivers for the Power over Ethernet devices. It does all of its talking and processing natively and then outputs the signal as if you ran a long cable to the other spot.
    Friday, June 6, 2008 8:02 PM
  • Sorry Lane, hadn't noticed your follow-up question. As Dat says, for me using the NetComms has been entirely straightforward; no drivers needed, everything worked fine from the outset. One thing worth mentioning: the NetComm unit instructions say plug into a power outlet by itself; i.e. give it exclusive access to the outlet. I've not been able to do that so, instead, I've run a double plug off each outlet, plugged the NP285s into one and whatever else (i.e. a multi-outlet box for everything else) off the other. Has worked OK for me. Might be worth checking?

Bill

Friday, June 6, 2008 8:44 PM

• Thanks Bill and Dat for your input.  I've tried all I know to try.  Still unable to restore the powerline PC's, just the direct connected one.

Think I'll try one last post in the software area.  I have the Disk to Disk version of Retrospect.  Super software but complicated.  I wanted the simplicity of  Homeserver.  May have to revert back to Retrospect.

Thanks again

Lane
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 5:21 PM