Product Suggestion RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello everyone,

I sent the following to WHSBeta@microsoft.com because one of my hard drives ended up having a bad sector.

I am a beta tester for Windows Home Server Beta 2.  I noticed a bad sector on one of my hard drives. I replaced it and it works fine. I Would like to see the following added to Windows Home Server to enhance the product’s hard drive health and data integrity:

1.      As part of hard drive maintenance, monitor hard drive health by looking for bad sectors.

2.      If a sector error is found, give the user the choice (prompt or automatically) perform a hard drive recovery mode.

3.      This recovery mode would transfer the remaining data to other hard drives.

4.      After data has been transferred, The O/S would mark the hard drive as unreliable or bad, and bar it from ever being used in the operating system. Enforcing data integrity.

I believe this would be a great product enhancement.

Sincerely,

Joe G

Friday, March 16, 2007 5:00 AM

All replies

• Good idea but flawed slightly. It should just mark the bad sectors so data cant copy onto it. Once a certain amount of bad sectors are found it should then start a proper recovery process one would then
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 12:29 PM
  • It should also monitor and act on the SMART status of the connect hard drives.
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 1:19 PM
  • That's what I actually meant. One or two bad sectors won't bother me as much. It's when it turns into three, four & so forth then I start getting worried.

Take care,

Joe G.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 5:51 PM