windows update addin & email halfway addin sugestion RRS feed

• General discussion

• Love my home server, but a couple of LITTLE ideas i have had i thought i would put forward.

Addin 1 Windows update: WHS knows what OS is on all the machines and is always on, why not let it download the update installer for all the machines and install from there 
    EG i have 3x win 7 & 4 win Vista pc's, a windows update on vista downloaded 4 times, why? download it to the server and install the 1 download 4 times
    can't the windows update on pc1 say to the server "i need update KB9840443 download it then let me run it" pc2 then says " i need KB9840443" server says "i have that, here run it"
    once all the PC's have the updates relevant to them delete it.

Addin 2 Email: alot of people here talk about exchange, I agree that is TOO much but how about a subsection of hotmail.
    eg server name is IamAserver email becomes anything@iamaserver.hotmail.com or anything@iamaserver.live.com/co.uk etc
    hotmail supports more than one email address now so all emails can be managed by 1 hotmail/live account as well as a email tab or addin to mail/outlook express etc.

Friday, November 27, 2009 9:37 PM

All replies

• Add-in 1: This is called WSUS or Windows Server Update Services. It's a great deal more complicated to do this than you probably think, and there are some good reasons not to do it at all in the home. WSUS consumes quite a bit of disk space, and a good bit of bandwidth, to make sure that any updates that might be needed are actually downloaded and available. In addition, there are issues with laptops; for example a computer that uses WSUS won't use Windows Update (WSUS replaces Windows Update). So if a laptop is frequently away from your server, it might not get updated for weeks or even months at a time.

Add-in 2: Microsoft did a lot of market research, which is why there is no email client, email server, or email aggregator in Windows Home Server. Most potential Windows Home Server customers are already quite happy with their current email solution, which is usually something like Hotmail.

That said, the best place to make a product suggestion is on Connect .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 27, 2009 10:33 PM
  • Thankyou for that info i will take a look at wsus, as for the email, it was more along the lines of alot of the requests i saw was for exchange, i use exchange with my work and thought the hotmail option my offer a comprimise

Saturday, November 28, 2009 10:54 PM