none
Pasted text in editor incomplete

Question

• I found now a few times the situation, in which I pasted some content from notepad or PowerShell ISE into the editor Window and the first half of the text got cut.

Start / Programme / Verwaltung / Terminaldienstekonfiguration / Verbindungen / RDP-Tcp / Eigenschaften / Clienteinstellungen

The minus sign seems to eat all content before if pasting within an existing line:  "Tcp / Eigenschaften / Clienteinstellungen " is what remains.

Also if I edit that combined line from type and paste after and insert a comment with - sign and have it in the middle of the sentence, all content before the minus sign disappears.

Repro: Type a word with subsequent minus sign like "Example -", paste a single word from Notepad after that. "Example" will disappear.

Or type "example: ", insert a word after that from Notepad and add something to that line with a minus sign within, after completing input hit Enter. Content before and including the minus sign will disappear.

Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 8.1.1

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• I found now a few times the situation, in which I pasted some content from notepad or PowerShell ISE into the editor Window and the first half of the text got cut.

Apparently some are attributing this symptom to spellchecking.  Try disabling that? 
    C.f.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/8a6add0c-deba-4af4-ae6f-c54a7a714ffe/ie10-and-ie11-bug-clipboard-data-modified-when-pasted-into-textarea?forum=ieitprocurrentver#1e54634e-23d3-4025-b60c-e7847c790105

FWIW my examples of this annoyance could be far more dramatic than a one or two character change that an AutoCorrect hypothesis would imply but I haven't tried the idea yet so I will reserve judgment on it until then.  Like yours my examples seem to be tied to use of special characters in a resulting "string" when stripped of "white space" (?)  E.g. I frequently cite quotes from URLs in my replies by including them in some pseudo XML and that seems to be the cause of my problem with this pasting issue.  I have to find alternate methods of generating the same output after a Paste but even then it seems that may be going too far and then producing the same infuriating symptom.  I have seen it only occasionally so have not had enough incentive to try to analyze it instead of finding quick workarounds.  I think it may be exacerbated by the current editor defect which does not allow us to create empty newlines any more.  E.g. I have had to modify my usual procedure of making my pseudo XML tags and leaving an empty line inside to Paste into, to instead try pasting immediately after the opening tag and then subsequently do an Enter to drop it down a line.  I think that's probably when things start to go wrong for my examples.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:14 PM
  • I would not consider a "-" as a special character - and it truly got annoying. Whenever you paste any text containing this sign be it code, be it a enumeration, be it a registry key copied directly from the registry - always this issue waits to eat your carefully typed text.

Since I had autocorrect already off and only highlighting on in PC, there should not be interception. Also with disabled global spell checking in Windows 8.1 the problem persists.

On top something starts to eat characters if typing fast and IE has hugged up some amount of memory.

It's not fun!

Olaf

Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:56 PM
  • As said - with spell checking off the issue happens too.

Also on Windows 7 with IE 11 installed.

Simply take this line:

123 - 456

copy it and paste it twice (without the line break).

Olaf

Friday, July 18, 2014 4:02 AM
  • This has certainly been interesting. I was only able to reproduce this with IE11 on Win7. IE11 on Win8.1 (plus other combinations) appears to be working for me. (See below, now I can't make any solid claims either way)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9956e281-3b6a-4af7-963d-a09375299b39/dash-repro?forum=tnsandbox

I don't use IE for the forums, so I've never run into this before.

Here's something strange... I went back and posted a few more times in the sandbox thread I've linked to above while typing this up. Now I can't reproduce this at all. I'm definitely at a loss on this one.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,950+ strong and growing)

Friday, July 18, 2014 4:57 AM
  • Hi,

also in Windows 8.1.1.

To reproduce reliable: Start typing something first (as you would do in a normal posting) and then copy some text with a minus sign in it but with no line break included and paste into he same line subsequently to your typed text to reproduce.

Olaf

Friday, July 18, 2014 6:47 AM
  • Start / Programme / Verwaltung / Terminaldienstekonfiguration / Verbindungen / RDP-Tcp / Eigenschaften / Clienteinstellungen

Test

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, July 25, 2014 9:25 PM
    Owner
  • - Tcp / Eigenschaften / Clienteinstellungen

example: x

Wow, that's almost like a feature!

Great repro statements!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Friday, July 25, 2014 9:26 PM
    Owner
  • I submitted a bug request. Great find! Thanks, Olaf!

• Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Friday, July 25, 2014 10:52 PM
    Friday, July 25, 2014 9:29 PM
    Owner