none
Scammed & screwed & Microsoft won't help. RRS feed

• Question

• 3 years ago I took this computer to a technician because it crashed.  At the time I had Win 98 as my OS.  The technician installed Win XP Pro while he had my computer but didn't give me the installation disk.  Being used to Win 98 which installs all the files from the installation disk in a directory on your hard drive I assumed that Win XP did the same.  I didn't realize the difference until a year later.  I tried to contact the technician who had worked on my computer but he had moved & could not be found.  Up until a few months ago I was receiving all of the Windows updates and was even able to download & install SP2.  Now...3 years later I need to download a patch or something in order to be able to change my clock on the new DLST schedule but can't because my key won't validate (locked).  I am on Social Security & can't afford to purchase a new Win XP or the Product Key Kit.  I have gone through all of the recommended steps and have contacted Microsoft Tech Support but all I get are forme letters with responses that are obviously generic and when I ask questions specific to my situation they are ignored as if they are never even read. So does this mean that I am screwed as far as Microsoft is concerned?  "Got scammed so live with it loser?"  Or is there another solution that won't cost me money I don't have?

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6C32H-P8RWC-48M4Q
    Windows Product Key Hash: Exyqh0LZ6/ur/0HJPpbm/cvSk3o=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-649-8027297-23082
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 55820dfa-6df9-4523-8c69-4be3c6e54bac
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Browsers\Avant\Avant Browser\avant.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Prompt
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Allowed
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>55820dfa-6df9-4523-8c69-4be3c6e54bac</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-48M4Q</PKey><PID>55274-649-8027297-23082</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-117609710-1993962763-1343024091</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>TriGem Computer, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Emachines</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>Ver 1.05</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010626000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>93F13ABF01846046</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 
    Friday, March 9, 2007 8:32 AM

Answers

• Hlndr,

Right now, your eMachines computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Luckily, the low- or no-cost solution to your XP problem is simple.  Use the recovery solution supplied by eMachines to replace the nongenuine installation of XP Pro with the genuine original installation of W98 which presumably was on your computer when you purchased it new.  Be sure to back up and offload your data before you do this because typically the recovery process destroys all data on the hard disk.

If you do not have the Recovery CD supplied by eMachines, you can order Recovery CDs for many eMachines models directly from eMachines for about $25 USD.  If they cannot help you, try http://www.restoredisks.com

Friday, March 9, 2007 5:47 PM

All replies

• Hlndr,

Right now, your eMachines computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Luckily, the low- or no-cost solution to your XP problem is simple.  Use the recovery solution supplied by eMachines to replace the nongenuine installation of XP Pro with the genuine original installation of W98 which presumably was on your computer when you purchased it new.  Be sure to back up and offload your data before you do this because typically the recovery process destroys all data on the hard disk.

If you do not have the Recovery CD supplied by eMachines, you can order Recovery CDs for many eMachines models directly from eMachines for about $25 USD.  If they cannot help you, try http://www.restoredisks.com

Friday, March 9, 2007 5:47 PM
  • Thank you very much for the quick response and help.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 1:48 AM
  • Hlndr,

You're welcome

Sunday, March 11, 2007 1:47 AM
  • Hi Dan,

I stumbled across your helpful advice to Hindr and wondered if you could offer me any advice?

I previously lived in the UK (and had my computer for a number of years). I bought the said computer from a computer company and I am guessing they used VLK certificate (as they are a business).

I last was able to receive updates on 11th November 2006. I moved to China and as soon as updates were available I went through the process of updating but when it came to validation it failed saying that the key is blocked. This problem only started when I moved to China. I have had numerous dealings with MicroSoft and to tell you the truth I got no real help what so ever and no real explanation as to why after I re-located I had this issue.

The computer company that I bought the system from has closed / being taken over.

If you have any thoughts I would be grateful.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 6:48 AM
  • Andrew in China,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Sunday, March 11, 2007 11:43 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key:
    Windows Product Key Hash: mueSX3wGyncPIYVtqSez4xtvXJ8=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-648-4197876-23760
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: f97ef65f-0021-45de-a3d1-3cc837999e51
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.20.0
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>f97ef65f-0021-45de-a3d1-3cc837999e51</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-QTHFW</PKey><PID>55274-648-4197876-23760</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-299502267-1547161642-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>MICRO-STAR INC.</Manufacturer><Model>MS-6728</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>V3.A      </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040929000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>9D8D39AF01846072</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57297</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

There are no certificates on the computer (this is the first time I have looked and not sure what this means).

I know that the version is XP Pro.

Thanks for taking time to assist me.

Andrew

Monday, March 12, 2007 12:38 AM
  • Andrew in China,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

More bad news:  Your Office 2003 Pro installation is showing as Nongenuine (Office status=114 means nongenuine).  If this comes as a surprise to you, please go back to where you purchased the installed copy of Office and let them know that it is a counterfeit copy and that you demand the genuine copy that you paid for. or a refund.  In any case, please uninstall the nongenuine installation of Office 2003 as soon as possible.

Without a COA or a genuine CD, there's no evidence to show that any previous Windows license is associated with that computer.  In order to Get Genuine, you will need to purchase a genuine copy of XP and install it on the computer.

Monday, March 12, 2007 2:04 AM
  • Thanks for the advice Dan and I was not aware that the Office 2003 was non genuine either (and I thought I was pretty good with computers). I will act on your advice as soon as possible.

Best regards

Andrew

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 3:40 AM
  • Andrew,

Sorry I didn't have better news for you!

Good Luck

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 2:47 PM