developing on two machines RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating an extra portable development environment on a laptop. The rationale being that I will have a spare development environment in case the first one goes bang, I can take the laptop to site and do work and I can use it as an extra test environment.

So usually I have a domain in which I have virtual machines for pdc, crm and a development box. In the same subnet on a laptop I have created virtual machines in a separate domain with the same virtualisation for pdc, crm and development. So far so good. But it occurs to me that as crm and windows in general is prone to generating guids at every opportunity to distinguish items this is going to give me some problems. For example if I create plugins then as I copy the source code to the second development environment they will acquire new ids which will then give me problems updating live sites if the code was generated in the two different locations even though it is the same code.

Are there any recommended practices for developing in multiple locations?

Friday, July 5, 2013 11:00 AM

All replies

• I would say there are two approaches to this:

- You can do a backup of your organization database on your development environment and restore this onto you secondary environment. You can do this at regular intervals (whatever makes sense perhaps daily) and also schedule this to be done automatically using a sql job. Then when something happens to your primary environment you can import the organization from the restored database on your secondary environment. You source code I assume is in some kind of source control so you can just get latest to the secondary environment and carry on there.

- Do an initial restore on the secondary environment as above. The do a regular export and import of all your customizations from the primary environment to the secondary environment. These will have to be unmanaged. There are tools you can also use to automate this or you can write your own using the SDK. The downside with this approach is your lookup and entity data will not be replicated.

Hope this helps.

.NET Developer

Friday, July 5, 2013 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

The idea of having two interchangeable dev environment sounds like a lot of hassle to me unless the switch is made only very occationally. Have you considered setting up a Azure Virtual Machine and RDCing to it if you are constantly switching machines?

hth

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Friday, July 5, 2013 8:13 PM
    Answerer