Maximum inbound connections? RRS feed

• Question

• I was interested in Windows Home Server to supplement my home network IF it can support more than 10 concurrent file share connections. I have a 16 port switch maxed out in my home and it's very frustrating that only 10 computers can access my main shares at once. Thanks.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:45 PM

Answers

• No, it will not support more than 10 file share connections at once. For that, you will need Windows Server and an appropriate number of CACLs.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:08 PM
  • No, you're limited in the number of connections you can make by the number of CALS you have, and a "connection" includes SMB share access. I don't recall whether Windows Home Server is licensed per server (can't recall if Windows Server 2003 used this licensing model), per user or per device, and it's possible that the product has done something special to increase the limit (I can't dig into one to look at the moment), but there's going to be some limit. See this area of the Microsoft site for more details, though the information you'll find there is a bit sketchy unless you want to read most of it.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:33 PM

All replies

• No, it will not support more than 10 file share connections at once. For that, you will need Windows Server and an appropriate number of CACLs.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:08 PM
    Ken, to the best of my knowledge, the number of connections to WHS (as any other server OS) is unlimited (the client OSes are limited to 10).  It's only the number of users and computers that are limited to 10 on WHS.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 6:01 AM
  • No, you're limited in the number of connections you can make by the number of CALS you have, and a "connection" includes SMB share access. I don't recall whether Windows Home Server is licensed per server (can't recall if Windows Server 2003 used this licensing model), per user or per device, and it's possible that the product has done something special to increase the limit (I can't dig into one to look at the moment), but there's going to be some limit. See this area of the Microsoft site for more details, though the information you'll find there is a bit sketchy unless you want to read most of it.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:33 PM