none
Print? Can I connect a printer to a home server? RRS feed

• Question

• I can't find anything on this in any of the literature. If I purchase one of the products from a WHS partner can I attach a printer (USB) and have the device act as a printer server?
    Keith Hageman
    Friday, October 9, 2009 1:11 PM

All replies

• It's not a supported use and, to be honest, if you've got an inexpensive consumer printer you may find it a bit of a challenge.

To connect and share a printer, you will need to install a printer driver on the server. That will require you to connect to your server using Remote Desktop (since you specify an OEM product rather than a server you build yourself). Then you'll have to sort out how to install the printer driver on a machine without an optical drive, and you will want only the printer driver, not the additional bloatware utilities supplied. Ideally you will use a driver for Windows Server 2003.

Once that's done, you can connect the printer (usually you install the driver first) and share it. But you may still have trouble printing reliably to a consumer printer shared this way. As a result my recommendation is to consider an inexpensive network multifunction. I have a Canon (which I like), but that's not intended as a brand recommendation.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 9, 2009 5:43 PM
  •     I've got a HP plotter & a Brother Laser hooked to mine with no problems. I used to have a Cannon multifunction that worked fine as a printer (but as a fax, etc so I moved it). It's been a while but I"m sure that I just copied the drivers to the server & installed from there. I get wierd entries in the event log about printers but everything works as expected so I just ignore them.

Ad
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 7:49 PM