OneCare is only about backup NOT restoring RRS feed

• Question

• I have spent countless hours trying to restore files from onecare.

I have seen the attitude and lack of compassion and knowledge of this product of the moderators on this board.

When I needed it, there was in fact very little about restoring in Help.

So as my subject says, OneCare is not about restoring your backups easily if at all Sad

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:39 PM

Answers

• Hello Rick, without knowing exactly the issue you are encountering when attempting to restore your files it is difficult to suggest a solution. This Microsoft KB article explains the restore process in One Care - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944171/en-us

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hello Rick, without knowing exactly the issue you are encountering when attempting to restore your files it is difficult to suggest a solution. This Microsoft KB article explains the restore process in One Care - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944171/en-us

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:46 PM
  • Exactly my point.

That article is far from complete, and does not cover the myriad of issues that Vista has with permissions and onecare.

If you didn't remember exactly what you named your computer you're in trouble.

There is no obvious restore interface for problems in the program.

To restore your files shouldn't require searching through this board.

Try a search within onecare software and see how few issues are dealt with, plenty about backing up, and about 3 for restore - what you really need when you're in trouble.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:03 PM
  •  Rick1953 wrote:

I have seen the attitude and lack of compassion and knowledge of this product of the moderators on this board.

You can complain about the backup and restore process in OneCare and also the documentation that exists and doesn't exist, and I will agree with you. The process is convoluted and fraught with problems. The complication exists because OneCare answered the requests of customers to provide more options for backup destinations and scenarios. I believe that coding for these scenarios added a level of complication to the process that causes most of the problems encountered and you are correct that the documentation is only covering the basics.

I take issue with the above statement, though.

We are not the developers, so we don't know the intricacies of the product, but we are knowledgeable about the program. We do not know everything and have never claimed to - especially regarding backup issues.

If your accusation about our "attitude and lack of compassion" refers to the fact that we refer people to support for help when we don't know how to resolve the problem, then I'll advise you that we do this to get the customer to the most effective and efficient means of getting the problem resolved by doing so.

I have successfully performed restores from OneCare, as have many others. What are your specific issues?

-steve

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:59 PM
  • the accusation was not directed to you but another mod on this board. 

I have seen very useful help that you have given A+

I am past trying to restore from onecare.  I bought another program, and have scavenged my files from the regular windows backup.

Friday, November 21, 2008 8:59 PM
  • Thanks. I saw your reply to my fellow moderator in another thread. His replies can sometimes seem harsh, but he isn't really.

I'm sorry that you encountered such problems. I don't know what the issue was, but I just had the opportunity to use OneCare backup *and* restore today when I decided to use that process to copy all of my data from my primary laptop to my Tablet PC that just came back from getting the motherboard replaced and drive wiped back to factory condition.

Backup took much longer than I anticipated, but restore was fairly quick and very simple using the custom restore option and even browsing the offered files, unchecking specific ones to not restore. It was annoying that all email files went to the newly created "restore" folder branch on the target PC even though they were not duplicates and would have gone right into the correct profile since i use the same User name on all of my PCs.

-steve

Saturday, November 22, 2008 3:16 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:
    The complication exists because OneCare answered the requests of customers to provide more options for backup destinations and scenarios. I believe that coding for these scenarios added a level of complication to the process that causes most of the problems encountered and you are correct that the documentation is only covering the basics.

You seem to be saying that MS can't program an very robust backup program. There are very inexpensive, very robust backup programs out there. Why does this have to be "complex"? I can tell you there is absolutely no way a majority of OneCare customers asked for a Chinese Box Puzzle.

My central backup device has crashed. It doesn't work. OneCare won't let me change to a new device. Why? Did MS not forsee that a central backup device will fail. All drives fail eventually. That's why we back up our data.

Guess what. When the drive does fail, we'll need to restore. Hopefull the backup device won't fail at the same time.

So here I sit having to use a different product, because the one I bought (Microsoft Live OneCare) doesn't work. That's Microsoft's name in there. That's YOUR brand that DOESN'T WORK.

Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:22 PM
  • fishinwa, I answered your other post in this thread - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4165388&SiteID=2 - and you've confirmed my suspicion that you are using Centralized backup. You will need to make the changes from the Hub PC.

I didn't say that Microsoft can't program a very robust backup program. I said that the backup program in OneCare is flaky and lacking, although not in those words. Note that I do not work for Microsoft - the moderators here are volunteers.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, please contact support  - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, November 24, 2008 4:20 PM
  • My apologies.  I was really frustrated with OneCare. I about crapped my shorts when I reinstalled OneCare, did the mandatory restart, and the first thing that popped up was a message that Vista couldn't start up!! Whatever. It managed to fix itself... Flaky? Downright unhealthy to my heart and brain!

Again, thanks for your time and effort.

Monday, November 24, 2008 7:47 PM
  • I certainly understand your frustration - no need to apologize. Yes, I think my reaction on the reboot would have been the same with that error!

You're very welcome.

-steve

Monday, November 24, 2008 7:52 PM