Reporting Extension installation Error -The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have install my CRM data base and reporting services on a different server that CRM server.

ON SRV1 I have CRM server and AD and DNS role, on SRV2 I have SQL server

At that time where should I install reporting Server extension ? I guess it should be on server running RSS right ?

Doing so I get a strange error on Environment check which says :

"The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"

My DNS is perfomring well without error.

When I install my extension, I install it on an SQL server instance MyServer\CRM, then I have a dedicated RSS instance as CRM.
    Doing so I have all my CRM environnement isolated from other stuff.

What is the trouble with that Domain error ?

Here is log file snipet

==============

20:11:57|  Info| Group Microsoft SQL Server™
    20:11:57|  Info| SQL Server Version: 10.0.4000.0
    20:11:57|  Info| SQL Server Edition: 2
    20:11:57|  Info| Check SqlServerValidator: Success
    20:11:57|  Info| Check SqlInstanceNameValidator: Success
    20:11:57|  Info| Check ConfigDatabaseExistsValidator: Success
    20:12:01|Verbose| Retrieving config database version Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=SOLATYS-FLS\CRM;Initial Catalog=MSCRM_CONFIG;Connection Timeout=60;Integrated Security=SSPI ...
    20:12:01|  Info| Config database version: 5.0.9688.583.
    20:12:01|  Info| Check ConfigurationDatabaseVersionValidator: Success
    20:12:01|Verbose| Retrieving information from database Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=SOLATYS-FLS\CRM;Initial Catalog=MSCRM_CONFIG;Connection Timeout=60;Integrated Security=SSPI ...
    20:12:02|  Info| PrivilegeUserGroup: CN=PrivUserGroup {042cd06e-b837-48f5-b1f4-a862d5c309b4},DC=solatys,DC=local
    20:12:02|  Info| SqlAccessGroup: CN=SQLAccessGroup {042cd06e-b837-48f5-b1f4-a862d5c309b4},DC=solatys,DC=local
    20:12:02|  Info| ReportingGroup: CN=ReportingGroup {042cd06e-b837-48f5-b1f4-a862d5c309b4},DC=solatys,DC=local
    20:12:02|  Info| PrivReportingGroup: CN=PrivReportingGroup {042cd06e-b837-48f5-b1f4-a862d5c309b4},DC=solatys,DC=local
    20:12:02|  Info| Check PrivReportingGroupActiveDirectoryRightsValidator: Success
    20:12:02|  Info| Check CrmSqlDomainValidator: Success
    20:12:02|  Info| Check ReportServerInstanceValidator: Success
    20:12:02|  Info| Check CanPublishReportsValidator: Success
    20:12:02|  Info| Group Environment Checks
    20:12:02|  Info| Check ReportServerValidator: Success
    20:12:02|  Info| Check ReportingAccountValidator: Success
    20:12:02|Verbose| Retrieving information from database Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=SOLATYS-FLS\CRM;Initial Catalog=MSCRM_CONFIG;Connection Timeout=60;Integrated Security=SSPI ...
    20:12:04| Error| Check ReportingAccountMemberOfSecurityGroupValidator : Failure: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

20:12:04|  Info| Group User Input Checks
    20:12:04|  Info| Check TargetFolderValidator: Success
    20:12:04|Verbose| Validation ran.
    20:12:04|Verbose| Validation completed.
    20:12:04|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EDW.Framework.EDWTool.Run
    20:12:04|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EDW.Framework.EDWTool.RunAll
    20:12:04|Verbose| Method entry: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EDW.Framework.EDWToolCallbacks.Clear
    20:12:04|Verbose| Method exit: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EDW.Framework.EDWToolCallbacks.Clear

any idea?

regards
    Serge

Your knowledge is enhanced by that of others.
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:33 PM

Answers

• That does not work either but I have found the solution.

I need to run the installation report extension with a domain administrative account.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 7:15 PM

All replies

• This is most likely a DNS or AD problem. Do you have any AD problems - e.g. with replication, or non-working domain controllers ?

I beleive the step causing the error is when the setup program is checking if the account used by Reporting Services account is a member of one of the CRM AD groups. What account is Reporting Services using ? I could imagine you might get a problem if this account is a local account on that machine, rather than a domain account

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com  http://www.excitation.co.uk
    Friday, July 29, 2011 9:31 AM
  • I have no error on DNS and AD

The account I use for RSS service account is the fefault one as NTAuthorit`\Network
    May be what I need to set here is an domain account ?

Just for info, on the server running RSS, there is Windows Server Sharepoint 3.0 services running, any issu with that ?

Saturday, July 30, 2011 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

Yes change SQL Server Reporting Services account to a domain account instead of using NTAuthority\Network and also make sure that this account have administrative priveleges to access SQL Reporting Services databases in SQL Server.

Jehanzeb Javeed

http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:36 PM
  • That does not work either but I have found the solution.

I need to run the installation report extension with a domain administrative account.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 7:15 PM
  • Hi,

You do not need to install with a Domain Administrator account, installation only requires local system administrator priveleges not domain.

Jehanzeb Javeed

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 7:25 PM
  • Gald to hear you resolved the problem. Just to clarify some points made in this thread: To install the RS extension you do need some AD privileges - definitely privileges to view the membership of the CRM AD groups, and probably privileges to add a user to the PrivReportingGroup. This does not mean you have to be a Domain Administrator, but neither does it mean that local administrative privileges are sufficient

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com  http://www.excitation.co.uk
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with you that the user account also requires the Create, Modification, Deletion etc of OU object privleges in Active Directory. Just to mention i have posted that it does not require domain Admin privileges but local administrative privleges.

The best practise is to always create dedicated CRM and SQL Service accounts in Active Directory and grant minimum permissions to them instead of using Admin or any other user account.

Jehanzeb Javeed

Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:25 PM