Deleting Previous Backup files RRS feed

• Question

• How do I delete the old back up folders from previous backups?  I have gone in to Properties and have removed the "Read Only", but I still cannot delete the old files.  Any ideas??
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 4:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• See this post on how to delete old backups - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarebackupandrestore/thread/f0281206-ed0b-474c-8541-cc50843e5be2
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 1:21 PM
  • HI!

What you shoud do first, is to setup a permission to the backup folders and take ownership of it.

1.  Right click the folder and select PROPERTIES and click on SECURITY Tab.
    2.  Click Add and type EVERYONE and select OK.  Then give FULL CONTROL
    3.  Then click on the ADVANCE button
    4.  Select Everyone and check the box that says “Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply here that apply to child objects”   (This option will give full permission to the child folders and files as well)
    5.  Then click on th OWNER tab
    6.  Select the Administrators and check the box "Replace owner on subcomtainers and object" (This option will take the ownership of the sub folders and files in that folder)
    7.  Click apply and ok

You can also try this

1.  Start - Run - CMD  (For vista, START  - All programs -- Accessories -- Right click on Command Prompt -- Click on Run as Administrator)
    2.  type  cacls "<the driver for the folder>:\windows onecare backup\<name of the folder, which is basically the computer name>" /t /g everyone:F
    3.  Just Type Y if it asks if you really want to do it

You should be able to delete the backup folder by then.

For more assistance..

Contact support :

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Have a great day!

----- bayabasgirl29
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 1:25 PM