page content questions... RRS feed

• Question

• Any chance you can give more details on following questions I have regarding "Guidelines for successful indexing":

>> Limit all pages to a reasonable size. We recommend one topic per page. An HTML page with no pictures should be under 150 KB.

Is there a recommended size of the page to ensure that it will be ranked good?

>> Don't put the text that you want indexed inside images. For example, if you want your company name or address to be indexed, make sure it is not displayed inside a company logo.

Is it ok if text is overlayed with images?

>> Keep your site hierarchy fairly flat. That is, each page should only be from one to three clicks away from the home page.

Won't it create a pages with lots of links which will end up hurting the user experience?

I'm trying to find a balance here... Smile))

Thank you!

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

1. Page size is just a guide. I always recomend designing for website visitors first. We base our rankings on content quidelines and not page size.

2. If you are talking about putting "hidden" text on your page by using the same color as your background color, I don't recomend it. If you really must have text in your pictures, use the alt tags to reiterate what is in the picture.

3. Again, design for visitors and not for bots.

Brett

Monday, July 7, 2008 7:09 PM