WP7 Bing Translator: Missing French Articles (Le, La, L', etc.) RRS feed

• Question

• Why are articles missing from English->French translations? Even the Live Tile Word of the Day excludes articles. Knowing whether a word is masculine or feminine is crucial to accurate translation. When can we expect an update of the app?

Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:38 AM

All replies

• Given the constraints of space on the live tile we couldn't include it. The Bing Translator site does support this by displaying dictionary entries. We are certainly looking into making these available via the application itself. Thanks for the suggestion!

Vikram Dendi, Director of Product Management
    Microsoft Translator

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:42 AM
  • This continues to be a frustration for me. My daughter is taking French in school and the lack of articles in the live tile and in the dictionary make this tool useless for her and for any other user of the app!

Your past reply is excuse rather than solution driven. Articles are 1-3 characters in length and I have yet to see a word of the day that is too long to accomodate the additional letters. As for the dictionary, I cannot believe that "chat" rather than "le chat" is the result returned when I type the English word "cat." All this time (since my last post) and the app is still substandard!?

Ariticles MUST accompany the noun in the French language for the use to be grammatically correct. PLEASE make Bing Translator something that Microsoft can be proud of! For now, it doesn't even meet the standards of a French pre-school education show!!!

Dawn Proffitt-Schrag

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:35 PM