none
SyncToy keeps overwriting files just becaus they have different modification dates! RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am getting crazy over here with that ***. 1.4 did not have this bug! I have to music folders each approx 1000 files. I want SyncToy to copy and backup my music files on my laptop to the external harddisk. My Mediaplayer somehow changes the modification dates once a file has been played. Then SyncToy thinks that is a new file and overwrites it. Name and Size is the same! So everytime it has to copy 1000 files again! That's BS!

And If I keep deleting music files frommy Mediaplayer the SyncToy does not delete them on my external harddisk, only a few. Which criteria is this thing using? What logic? I made a big mistake downloading 2.0. I want my 1.4 back. Never showed these problems!

Saturday, October 18, 2008 1:28 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem. Previously synchronized files on my USB drive are exactly 6 hours off on "Last Modified" time, so SyncToy keeps synchronizing them, there's over 1000 of them. Why is there this 6 hours difference? Is the left side and the right side algorithm reading time differently? Wish: could you make a one-click solution to de-select all files to be overwritten, for instance? WIth this bug there's over 1000 of them and I can not one-by-one unselect them. Well I could, but I try to have a life :-).

Sunday, October 19, 2008 4:04 PM
  • I'm also suffering with this issue too.  I run several syncs between a NAS and an attached USB HDD.  I have a couple of syncs which are for folders with 10,000 files (about 16Gb).

When I run the sync, it wants to overwrite every file and its very very slow, I think it would take literally days to run the 10,000.  I have even done a fresh copy over - which is resonably quick - then recreated the pairing and it still wants to overwrite the lot very very slowly.

I am running a cabled network (100Mb), NAS is a 250GB Buffalo Live, Laptop is a Tosh R400 2GB Vista Ultimate, USB drive is a 250Gb Western Digial Passport. Synctoy is version 2

Any help or ideas welcomed, i've been a daily user of synctoy for a very long time since the very early versions - i'd hate to move on..

Thanks in advance...
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:01 PM
  • "Why is there this 6 hours difference?"

If one of your drives is NTFS and the other FAT16 or 32, that explains the time difference. The diff arises because FAT reports file times in local time and NTFS reports UTC times.

I lifted that info from the SyncToy FAQ in this forum. The FAQ also deals with the problem of SyncToy wanting to re-sync all the files, but notes that it should happen only once -- the FIRST time you run the new version after the upgrade.

This slow (if there are a lot files) first-time run is apparently unavoidable and the FAQ indicates there are 2 ways of dealing with it:

1) Go ahead and let the folder pair re-synchronize all files (i.e. hit Run on the Preview window and let it complete). This should be ok since you should have done a successful sync before upgrade. This “long” sync will only be required once after the upgrade, since SyncToy will ensure during this sync that the timestamp metadata is reconciled on both sides. After this you’ll start seeing normal SyncToy behavior for these folder pairs.

2) Temporarily change options on your folder pair to “Check file contents” and Run the folder pair. This will only copy the files where the content is actually different – but it will take more time to analyze the files since it will have to compare the file contents. Once this sync is done, you can uncheck the option and continue normal operation.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:36 PM
  • I have similar problems with SyncToy. I have a new install of SyncToy 2.0.100 and I took days to sync 200 GB of music files from an older computer to a new one. They synced correctly and for a short time I was happy. Then I ran a back-up from the new computer to the old one (basically switched the direction of the sync) and SyncToy wanted to overwrite 97 GB of the same files. That means copying almost 50% of the exact same files it just synced in the other direction!

To add insult to injust I cannot uncheck the 10,000 files at once. So without a way to tell SyncToy to ignore certain irrelevant metadata (last played, created on, etc.) the tool just became useless. And it will be useless to anyone who tries to use it for music files in this way, no?
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 8:05 AM
  • agree.

Will that be fixed? I use it on a NAS where the FS is ext3
    weissollo
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Hi -

SyncToy has no special logic built in for music files so unfortunately if you have a file type that is updated frequently - we will keep picking the changes up. On the other hand - if you do have files like this - you could use the "Check File Contents" option that will detect changes only based on file stream changes itself.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:17 PM
  • I've got the same problem as in the first post!
    Every time i start WMP i somehow updates the files and SyncToy starts shoveling the mp3's from left to right!
    I' don't know whether it's the time stamp that gets changed or if WMP "updates" the file in some way!?
    Very annoying! If I check the "check file contents" box, the sync takes way too long time, at least 4-5 hours!
    • Edited by Pelle Chevelle Saturday, May 23, 2009 6:58 AM Shortened it!
    Friday, May 22, 2009 4:35 PM
  • Very annoying! If I check the "check file contents" box, the sync takes way too long time, at least 4-5 hours!

Same problem here.  I wish it would simply compare file names!  It has to be a simple fix!  I just want to copy music files from my laptop to an external usb drive to another computer, simply copying just files that another drive is missing.  Synctoy is unusable for this.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 4:43 AM
  • Yes, if you choose "check file contents" it will spend more time.

Generally do not have this checked will compare the file 's update time, file name, attribute firstly. I think it will satisfy most of the user scenarios. Compare file content is another side for synctoy to do sync. It will cost more time, if you do not have special require for this compare, suggest you do not have this "checked".

Thanks,

Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 8:44 AM