none
Windows XP Home Edition Product Key

Question

•  

Greetings,

A user has brought in her old computer, and asked me if I could reinstall Windows XP Home Edition on it, as it is loaded with unwanted software, spyware, adware, etc.

She was not able to find her installation cd, but the Product Key is on a sticker on the computer, so I installed a new version of Windows XP Home Edition from a cd I had lying around.

However, the Product Key does not work with the version I have (service pack 2), and I do not have any older cd's to try with.

Is there a way to get this to work?

I mean, I'm not breaking any license rules here, all I'm doing is reinstalling a newer version of Windows XP Home Edition on a computer licensed with this OS.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ole

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:45 PM

Answers

• How to replace missing Microsoft software: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:21 PM
  • Thanks,

Ole

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:29 PM
  • OleDrews,

Retail licenses may be moved from one computer to another, as long as the license is activated on one computer at a time and as long as the previous installation of the license is removed from the previously licensed computer.

OEM licenses for XP are tied to the first computer onto which they are installed and the license is not permitted to be moved on any other computer.  For the purposes of defining what a computer is, since a computer is really just a collection of parts, Microsoft has established that the motherboard is the base or "defining" component, and the OEM license is permanently tied to the motherboard.

If the old computer is an OEM license for Windows XP, recovery CD’s specific to the computer manufacturer may be available. Or as Carey suggested, you can contact Microsoft with regard to seeing what the options are for using the product key for Windows XP on the machine for a valid installation.

I hope this has helped,

Lori MS

Friday, June 13, 2008 5:40 PM
  • Lori,

I am familiar with retail and oem licenses.

This is an oem license, and it is for a Windows XP Home Edition.

Since Windows is not perfect, and does not include a filter to block all bad software, spyware, adware, viruses, etc., it needs to be re-installed once in a while. The cd that came with this computer / oem license is currently not in a known place, so I was simply trying to use another cd with the same OS as my oem license contains, but it turns out that the cd I have available to use for this has Service Pack 2 incorporated, whereas the one that originally came with the computer either has no service packs, or Service Pack 1.

Had I been lucky to have the original cd in my hand, I could have used this instead, and it would have upgraded to SP3 automatically, but instead I had hoped to use one with SP2, which would also upgrade automatically to SP3.

No difference.

However, I got it working by calling Microsofts Validation Line and typing in 9 x 6 numbers, and receiving 7 x 6 numbers, and it is now working.

They sure don't make it easy do they...

Thanks for your reply though.

Have a great weekend,

Ole

Friday, June 13, 2008 6:15 PM
  • OleDrews,

We're glad to hear that your validation issue has been resolved.

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage for XP,

Lori MS

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 9:19 PM

All replies

• How to replace missing Microsoft software: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:21 PM
  • Thanks,

Ole

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:29 PM
  • OleDrews,

Retail licenses may be moved from one computer to another, as long as the license is activated on one computer at a time and as long as the previous installation of the license is removed from the previously licensed computer.

OEM licenses for XP are tied to the first computer onto which they are installed and the license is not permitted to be moved on any other computer.  For the purposes of defining what a computer is, since a computer is really just a collection of parts, Microsoft has established that the motherboard is the base or "defining" component, and the OEM license is permanently tied to the motherboard.

If the old computer is an OEM license for Windows XP, recovery CD’s specific to the computer manufacturer may be available. Or as Carey suggested, you can contact Microsoft with regard to seeing what the options are for using the product key for Windows XP on the machine for a valid installation.

I hope this has helped,

Lori MS

Friday, June 13, 2008 5:40 PM
  • Lori,

I am familiar with retail and oem licenses.

This is an oem license, and it is for a Windows XP Home Edition.

Since Windows is not perfect, and does not include a filter to block all bad software, spyware, adware, viruses, etc., it needs to be re-installed once in a while. The cd that came with this computer / oem license is currently not in a known place, so I was simply trying to use another cd with the same OS as my oem license contains, but it turns out that the cd I have available to use for this has Service Pack 2 incorporated, whereas the one that originally came with the computer either has no service packs, or Service Pack 1.

Had I been lucky to have the original cd in my hand, I could have used this instead, and it would have upgraded to SP3 automatically, but instead I had hoped to use one with SP2, which would also upgrade automatically to SP3.

No difference.

However, I got it working by calling Microsofts Validation Line and typing in 9 x 6 numbers, and receiving 7 x 6 numbers, and it is now working.

They sure don't make it easy do they...

Thanks for your reply though.

Have a great weekend,

Ole

Friday, June 13, 2008 6:15 PM
  • OleDrews,

We're glad to hear that your validation issue has been resolved.

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage for XP,

Lori MS

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Hello :-),

Curious have you given Microsoft One Care a try yet? You can download a trial version for use and if you decide this meets your spyware, adware needs you may purchase it. Thought I would share this information with you. 

Take care

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 9:34 PM
  • You could have saved yourself a lot of trouble. Microsoft has disabled online activation of COA keys from Royalty OEM's in order to cut down on piracy. However, they did provide a way for you to reinstall Windows XP and preserve the OEM activation. Read this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457078.aspx

Sunday, July 06, 2008 10:11 PM
  • Hello There,

I understand what you are stating but I have a simular problem. I have a Gateway laptop that came
    with XP Home factory installed. I bought the laptop used and do not have the Gateway OS restore CD.
    The laptop does have a valid CD key sticker afixed to the bottom. I do have a genuine MS XP Home CD
    that I purchased some time ago. The problem I have is that both the CD key and the Windows media are
    genuine and valid. But  the CD key is not seen as valid by the CD installation of XP Home. I could understand
    the problem if one or the other was bogus. But if both are genuine then what is the problem. The CD is merely
    the media. It is the registration key that really matters. If I have one CD and four valid CD keys why should I
    be required to buy three more CD's. I hope I have made my point here clear enough. Since I have what is
    necessary to install a valid install of XP Home. Why should I be required to either purchase yet XP Home CD
    (With key) or a restore CD from Gateway?

Jeff
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:18 AM
  • Hello jeffs182,

The likely problem is that the CD that you have is either a full retail CD or an upgrade retail CD.

These CDs do not accept an OEM product key for running setup.

You have to get either the correct recovery CD(s) from Gateway, or get a systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer CD for Windows XP Home Edition.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, February 01, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Hello jeffs182,

You probably have either a full retail CD or an upgrade retail CD.

These CDs will not accept the OEM product key at the beginning of XP Setup.

You need to either get the Gateway Recovery CD(s) for you model of Gateway computer, or you need to get access to a genuine Microsoft hologrammed XP Home installation CD from the systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer distribution channel.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, February 01, 2010 5:45 PM
  • I can not actavite my windows xp sp3 oem home editon beacause if it tells me to Its only 30 trial days :(
    22 hours 28 minutes ago