reformated pc, now cant reinstall windows xp because it says my key is invalid, i know it should be a valid key RRS feed

• Question

• I know I saw some similar articles, but none that seemed to help me out with this.

An ex-roommate did something to my pc causing it to not know how to open shortcuts or exe files, so I decided to reformat which i've done several times on this particular pc in the past.

After reformating, I started to reinstall windows but it says my key is invalid so it won't complete the installation. I am using the key off of the side of the computer, and I can't find the key on the CD case the windows CD was on, only a shorter ID #.

I know I'm putting it in right, so I just dont know why it won't install this time.

Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:54 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the fast reply Dan. Unfortunately this is one of those cases where I just was having trouble reading the correct product key off the side of the computer. Even when I was sure that I had it in right, double and triple checked, another roommate tried and got it in right.

As well, yes the CD was in a sleeve not a hard case.

Thanks again
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:29 PM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:00 PM

All replies

• Hi jrabiolo,

You wrote, "I am using the key off of the side of the computer, and I can't find the key on the CD case the windows CD was on, only a shorter ID #."

The error message you are seeing is typical of trying to use a CD and a Product Key that do not match license types.

The key off the side of the computer would be the Product Key printed on the Certificate of Authenticity.  This CoA is part of an "Original Equipment Manufacturer" license for XP.  Typically, the CDs for these do NOT come in a plastic CD case, they are normally in a sleeve envelope.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by jrabiolo Thursday, March 12, 2009 7:57 PM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Thanks for the fast reply Dan. Unfortunately this is one of those cases where I just was having trouble reading the correct product key off the side of the computer. Even when I was sure that I had it in right, double and triple checked, another roommate tried and got it in right.

As well, yes the CD was in a sleeve not a hard case.

Thanks again
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:29 PM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Hi jrabiolo,

Glad you were able to get it straightened out!  :-)

People seem to want to mix up the "B" and the eight.  Did you do that?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, March 13, 2009 4:14 AM