What is the difference between Window's Firewall and One Care Firewall? RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please explain?
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:02 PM

Answers

• The Windows firewall is basically protection from inbound unsolicited connections attempts. However, any application running on your PC that wants outbound is given full outbound access and can open a port for "listening" to receive a response and, therefore, open an inbound connection.

The OneCare firewall is a full two way firewall, meaning that it blocks access to unknown programs on your PC that request outbound connections as well as blocking inbound traffic. Configuration is fairly easy for adding programs to the allow list, but most well known programs that are digitally signed by the author are typically allowed automatically.

-steve

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:08 PM

All replies

• The Windows firewall is basically protection from inbound unsolicited connections attempts. However, any application running on your PC that wants outbound is given full outbound access and can open a port for "listening" to receive a response and, therefore, open an inbound connection.

The OneCare firewall is a full two way firewall, meaning that it blocks access to unknown programs on your PC that request outbound connections as well as blocking inbound traffic. Configuration is fairly easy for adding programs to the allow list, but most well known programs that are digitally signed by the author are typically allowed automatically.

-steve

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Just wanted to add if you were referring to the Vista firewall, it does have outbound protection but as default it has no "block" rules--all outgoing is allowed.  To set outbound up you have to go to the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in in the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) and block all outgoing.  Then you start adding exceptions such as your browser, mail client, IM, etc to access the net.

This manual editing of the firewall rules can be tedious and I rather have a pop-up asking me if so-and-so can access the net.  In my older age I want things to be simple, lol.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:16 AM
  • You are indeed correct. You *can* configure the Vista firewall for outbound protection, but doing so is not easy.

-steve

Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:22 PM