Adding a printer to the server when the driver is not on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• WHS is wonderful!  So far, the only problem I have encountered is the reporting of available disk space from the console pie chart, but someone has already reported that.  I installed my HP LaserJet 1200 to the server which was recognized and setup immediately.  The drivers were present in WHS.  All my home computers connect fine.  When I plugged in my Epson IP4000 printer, the hardware wizard popped up.  I tried to install the driver for XP from Epson, but the server would not allow the file to extract.  I tried to extract it on another machine and then run the setup, but the file extracts and then installs without providing options to the installer.  What is the procedure to install a printer for which no driver exists on the Home Server???  And what version would I use?  XP, 2000, etc.  Thanks to anyone who can help.  I would like to share both printers from the server rather than one from my PC and the other from the server.

Thanks

Jim Marcum

Sunday, April 29, 2007 9:20 PM

Answers

• WHS is based on Server 2003, so that's the one to get drivers for.
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 9:45 PM
  • If you have the winxp driver (or even win2k) as an exe you can use winRAR (www.rarlab.com) to extract the content from the exe file. In the folder you extracted to, there should be the inf files you need. Use the device manager to locate and install the driver from the inf files.

Hope that helps.

Davo.

Sunday, June 3, 2007 11:36 AM

All replies

• WHS is based on Server 2003, so that's the one to get drivers for.
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 9:45 PM
  • Thank you for that answer, I was hoping a driver for XP would work, as Canon does not list a driver for 2003.  I may contact them to see if they could provide one.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 1:02 PM
  • If Canon doesn't have any assistance for you, you could try installing the driver by running setup in XP compatibility mode:
    • Right click the executable
    • Select Properties
    • Select Compatibility
    • Select Run this program in compatibility mode for
    • Select Windows XP from the dropdown
    Monday, April 30, 2007 2:12 PM
  • Maybe check if your printer supplier offers a "a trimmed-down driver download.

I had the same problem with an HP All-In-One printer.  HP offers two drivers ... basically standard (comes with extra applications) and lite (comes with nothing but drivers).  The standard driver install failed outright, but I was able to use the lite one for XP after ignoring a driver OS incompatibility warning.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 3:42 PM
  • I came across this issue this weekend. It suddenly ocurred to me, why not move my printer from my workstation onto the WHS box? Then the kids can print their homework from the laptop even if my workstation is hibernating.

I eventually gave up, though, after spending hours trying unsuccessfully to get the XP drivers for my five-year-old HP inknet printer to install in WHS. There are no W2K3 drivers for this printer.

I also tried using the compatability mode on the driver installation utility that HP supplies. But that didn't help.

If I want to make my WHS a print server, I guess I'll need to consider getting a new printer -- one that comes with W2K3 (or maybe even "WHS" drivers).

Monday, April 30, 2007 4:47 PM
  • My HP Deskjet 5900 wouldn't install on WHS, HP don't have server 2003 drivers either.  In the end i installed it manually by finding the inf file the installer had extracted before it refused to install.  Its using the winxp driver but seems to be working fine. 

Maybe you could find the inf file on the internet or in the system folders of an XP machine?
    Monday, May 7, 2007 11:16 PM
  • I´ve got a similar problem, I´ve connected two printers to WHS, Canon i560 and Lexmark Optra E310, and they both work at WHS, but I cant´t get them to work on my desktop connected to WHS (Win Vista), I can´t find "additional drivers" to get them to work on Vista, what to do?
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 6:03 PM
  • I managed to successfully use compatability mode to install the full XP driver for my HP Photosmart 8250 printer onto WHS. The driver initially kept bombing because it didn't recognise the OS and the HP driver would not let me bypass this. I then had to install the full driver on the client machines and point them at the printer as the client would not install direct from the server. I'm not sure why compatability mode hasn't worked for everyone but I think this may be a key thing to document as a lot of the printers most people will have for home use will never have server versions of the drivers released.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:04 PM
  •  Flan Flinger wrote:
    I managed to successfully use compatability mode to install the full XP driver for my HP Photosmart 8250 printer onto WHS. The driver initially kept bombing because it didn't recognise the OS and the HP driver would not let me bypass this. I then had to install the full driver on the client machines and point them at the printer as the client would not install direct from the server. I'm not sure why compatability mode hasn't worked for everyone but I think this may be a key thing to document as a lot of the printers most people will have for home use will never have server versions of the drivers released.

With alot of setup programs you might set compatibility mode for setup.exe and that might unpack files into a temp dir and try to start another executable that does not have compatibility mode set for it so it will bomb at that point. move the files to a local disk and try to set the compatibility mode for any executable you find and try again.

Rex

Friday, May 25, 2007 7:50 PM
  • I had problems installing an epson r220 on the server. I finally decided to reconnect a mouse, keyboard and monitor directly to the server. I installed the drivers and disconected the keyboard, mouse and monitor. It worked great then. the printer was immediately recognized. I used the original disk with xp driver. It works like a charm.
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:09 PM
  • If you have the winxp driver (or even win2k) as an exe you can use winRAR (www.rarlab.com) to extract the content from the exe file. In the folder you extracted to, there should be the inf files you need. Use the device manager to locate and install the driver from the inf files.

Hope that helps.

Davo.

Sunday, June 3, 2007 11:36 AM
  • Thanks to all of you who have offered help on installing my printer (Canon IP 4000) on the WHS.  I just installed the Release Candidate and subsequently tried my XP Install CD and had no problem installing the printer.  All client machines now connect flawlessly.  Again, thanks to all of you, I now consider this matter closed, but I couldn't find the selection on this page where my e-mail message stated I should be able to "Mark as Correct Answer."

Jim Marcum
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 10:22 PM