Backup stops at 96% complete RRS feed

• Question

• After using OneCare for a couple of years and regularly backing up to an external Maxtor One-Touch drive, I recently had backups stall at 96% completion.

I checked the available disk space on the Maxtor and there is more than enough space for the files being backed up.

I also checked if the Maxtor was operating normally and it seems to respond normally in every way.

After experiencing the incomplete backup (always 96%), I uninstalled OneCare and reinstalled it again. I configured the back up making sure that the PC connected to the Maxtor was a hub PC. All the settings appear correct.

However, even with the reinstall, my backup using OneCare stalls at 96%. No matter how long I let it run once it's reached 96%, it never gets to 100%.

Does anyone have any ideas or solutions?

Thanks, Ray Valencia

Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:09 PM

Answers

• Since it is stalling at exactly the same place each time, it would seem to me that the backup process has encountered a file that it cannot copy. This may be due to disk/file corruption or it could be a defect in OneCare.

I suggest doing a complete disk check for errors - (right click the drive in Explorer, select Properties, Tools, Check for errors)

If no errors are found and corrected, I'd then change the backup plan to back up less files, perhaps and see if the backup completes with some types excluded. I'd add file types back until the problem appears, assuming that the earlier attempts to backup the reduced file types worked.

You can also contact support as your logs may reveal the specific file or location that is causing the problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, July 25, 2008 1:04 PM

All replies

• Since it is stalling at exactly the same place each time, it would seem to me that the backup process has encountered a file that it cannot copy. This may be due to disk/file corruption or it could be a defect in OneCare.

I suggest doing a complete disk check for errors - (right click the drive in Explorer, select Properties, Tools, Check for errors)

If no errors are found and corrected, I'd then change the backup plan to back up less files, perhaps and see if the backup completes with some types excluded. I'd add file types back until the problem appears, assuming that the earlier attempts to backup the reduced file types worked.

You can also contact support as your logs may reveal the specific file or location that is causing the problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, July 25, 2008 1:04 PM
  • Thank you. I will follow through on this. I appreciate it.

Friday, July 25, 2008 11:04 PM
  • Ray

I recently developed the same problem after installing a great deal of software for work.  The back up has otherwise been flawless.  I'll try the suggestions mentioned and let you know if anything works.

Southcape45

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:34 PM
  • Check for backup gets to 96% and then stalls.  It has been in this state for the past 5 hours.  I have uninstalled and installed the software in the hope it would rectify the problem.

I am using at western digital external drive.  Everything was working well until I installed XP Service Pack 3.

Please assist.

Regards,

John

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 11:37 PM
  • I've merged your post into the thread in the backup topic where this problem has been reported by two other people. My advice to you is the same as the first reply in the thread -

Since it is stalling at exactly the same place each time, it would seem to me that the backup process has encountered a file that it cannot copy. This may be due to disk/file corruption or it could be a defect in OneCare.

-steve

Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:14 PM
  • On one of the computers that I own (of two) I have recently encountered this problem. It SEEMED to occur after reinstalling the scanning software for a HP ScanJet 4070 Photosmart scanner. Prior to reinstalling that software, OneCare worked just perfectly. After reinstalling the HP software, OneCare hit that magical 96% and could not continue on the SeaGate FreeAgent external drive. I can tell the OneCare program to cancel the backup but, it's frozen. I have to go to Task Manager to stop OneCare from running (and, yes, I send an Error Report to Microsoft as requested).

I did a scan of my C: drive ... it says "No Problems Encountered" and ... btw ... my scanner is working perfectly! My other computer (in my OneCare circle) is running and backing up perfectly.

Next thing for me is to contact support (FAQ) as suggested but, you know what? I already know what to expect. They'll (i.e. FAQ) will tell me to uninstall and reinstall OneCare ... even in Safe Mode! Yup ... been there, done that. So ... that's the extent of the support I get?

OK ... mustn't misjudge too soon. I'll post this message then go to the FAQ link, as suggested <sigh>

Paul

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 11:00 PM
  •  

Microsoft moderators changed  the subject title to "Backup Stalled" but, I disagree with that change since it does not truely reflect the real situation, i.e. OneCare stalling at 96%.

Therefore, I am rewriting my response to the last poster in this thread (that was under "Backup Stalled") under your original thread of "Backup stops at 96% complete" because I know that is what people after information will look for. My search term was simply "backup 96" and it brought me immediately to this thread.

So ... here's what I wrote under "Backup Stalled"::::

On one of the computers that I own (of two) I have recently encountered this problem. It SEEMED to occur after reinstalling the scanning software for a HP ScanJet 4070 Photosmart scanner. Prior to reinstalling that software, OneCare worked just perfectly. After reinstalling the HP software, OneCare hit that magical 96% and could not continue on the SeaGate FreeAgent external drive. I can tell the OneCare program to cancel the backup but, it's frozen. I have to go to Task Manager to stop OneCare from running (and, yes, I send an Error Report to Microsoft as requested).

I did a scan of my C: drive ... it says "No Problems Encountered" and ... btw ... my scanner is working perfectly! My other computer (in my OneCare circle) is running and backing up perfectly.

Next thing for me is to contact support (FAQ) as suggested but, you know what? I already know what to expect. They'll (i.e. FAQ) will tell me to uninstall and reinstall OneCare ... even in Safe Mode! Yup ... been there, done that. So ... that's the extent of the support I get?

OK ... mustn't misjudge too soon. I'll post this message then go to the FAQ link, as suggested <sigh>

Paul

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 11:12 PM
  • Just for the record, the message you replied to had the title of "Backup Stalled" as that was the message that I merged into the 96% thread. The thread retains the 96% title.

I'll be interested in reading if a relationship between your scanner software and the backup problem can be found or what the cause of the issue turns out to be.

-steve

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:27 PM
  • I've just joined this thread and have experienced this frustrating and potentially dangerous occurence with OneCare since I reinstalled it after reformatting my laptop's hard drive.

Why can't MS suggest a reason why we all have the same problem at 96%?

Surely the software consistently failing at 96% suggests there is a weakness at that point in the backup?

Can we get any sensible response from Microsoft?

Monday, September 22, 2008 5:22 AM
  •  nickcameronbrown wrote:

I've just joined this thread and have experienced this frustrating and potentially dangerous occurence with OneCare since I reinstalled it after reformatting my laptop's hard drive.

Why can't MS suggest a reason why we all have the same problem at 96%?

Surely the software consistently failing at 96% suggests there is a weakness at that point in the backup?

Can we get any sensible response from Microsoft?

I'm having the same issue. I would be interested in seeing what Microsoft support has to say.

Saturday, November 8, 2008 2:25 AM
  • Having uninstalled and reinstalled several times, I'm getting fed up with this stalling at 96%.

I followed the moderators instructions but, the problem keeps reoccurring. It seems to work OK for about a week or two after reinstalling, but then the same problem comes up again.

Anybody else have any ideas?

Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:45 PM
  •  Ptath wrote:

Having uninstalled and reinstalled several times, I'm getting fed up with this stalling at 96%.

I followed the moderators instructions but, the problem keeps reoccurring. It seems to work OK for about a week or two after reinstalling, but then the same problem comes up again.

Anybody else have any ideas?

Please contact support for help with this problem. Make sure that you provide the details that you have already reinstalled a number of times.

-steve

Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:56 PM