How do you repair a broken WHS connector? RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows Home Server connector software was recently infected with the tenga.a worm. The files in question were:

setup.exe & WHSConnectorInstall.exe

WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe

dotnetchk.exe & dotnetfx.exe

I replaced the infected files with versions from C:\WHS. This worked fine for three of my computers (XP home SP3 & XP Pro SP3). They connect and backup just fine. One machine (XP Home SP3) would no longer back up.

I have attempted to reinstall the connector software numerous times. The installer tells me that

"Windows Home Server Connector is already installed on this computer. Setup will uninstall and then

reinstall the Windows Home Server Connector software. Do you want to proceed?"

After clicking "Yes" it goes through the motions of installing but fails. "Installation did not finish.

An error occurred that prevented the Windows Home Server Connector from completing successfully.

Run this wizard again to install the Windows Home Server Connector. To  close this wizard click OK."

Running the wizard again does not help. Add and Remove Programs does not list WHS Connector.

How can I COMPLETELY remove the old version so it will reinstall and work?

Thursday, June 3, 2010 5:37 PM

Answers

• A compromised (formerly infected) system is still compromised and not trustworthy any more, so I would not really recommend to deal too long with that attempt. (What about restoring a preinfection version of that machine from your home server?)

It may be enough to úse the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove the Installer information for the Connector software on the client, or you may have to uninstall the software and remove the folder Program Files\Windows Home Server and the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:31 PM

All replies

• A compromised (formerly infected) system is still compromised and not trustworthy any more, so I would not really recommend to deal too long with that attempt. (What about restoring a preinfection version of that machine from your home server?)

It may be enough to úse the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove the Installer information for the Connector software on the client, or you may have to uninstall the software and remove the folder Program Files\Windows Home Server and the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, June 3, 2010 7:31 PM
  • Thank you, Olaf!

The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility did not show WHS Connector. Neither did "Add and Remove Programs".

I used a restore point to go back before the virus events, deleted Program Files\Windows Home Server and the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server.

The connector software then installed correctly, and it is backing up now. I didn't want to restore from the home server backups, I would have probably been adding to my problems.

I will never again run WHS without antivirus! Thanks again for your help! yahmez the mad
    Friday, June 4, 2010 12:30 AM