Windows Home Server Not Connecting to Internet - Old Posts are not working either? RRS feed

• Question

• I have had all the issues getting WHS installed on my own hardware. It began with the infamous IO error, I took the forum advice and I picked up another DVD ROM Drive (Samsung) and it installed without any errors whatsoever. Now I have a new issue - My machine will not connect to my router, IE will not pull up the net

1. I have my hardware hard wired into my Verizon FIOS Actiontech M14240WR Router/Modem. This connects directly into the wall with no other hardware between it. I have unplugged my router and hoped for the best, my only config changes was to set a wireless password on my router.
    2. If I execute a IPCONFIG, nothing comes back at all: I type IPCONFIG, it displays Windows IP Configuraiton then brings me back to the C prompt.
    3. This is an out of the box and vanilla install. I have not configured anything other than the workgroup on my WHS
    4. I tried to follow the directions per this post @ http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/effb7772-1414-4e48-ae86-f5f4fa828470 and wasn't successful after a full reboot 2-3 times. This was me trying to set my own IP
    5. In reviewing the post in #2 above when I attempt to get to 192.168.1.1 from this working hard wired machine I get the login to my Verizon router in #1 above.
    6. If I select my 1394 Connection, it states: "Connected" and lists a duration, and a speed of 400.0 Mbps. however it shows zero packets Sent or Received.
    7. I disabled the firewall and still nothing... (argghhhh)
    8. WHen I look at my network from this machine, I do not see my WHS
    • If I select Repair Connection I get an error that states. "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the folowing action cannot be completed. Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed." I get this error when following the instructios in #2 above and when I ask TCP/IP to obtain its address automatically and DNS as well.
    I suspect (obviously I am not ) not pulling an IP from the router but I am not sure why? HELP!
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:23 PM

Answers

• Ok I ended up cleaning up my PC room, found an old ethernet card from 8-10 years ago, installed it and its working fine now. The OEM port worked fine when this was a SharePoint 2007 server 2 weeks ago? Kariya, thanks. I did not see any errors in the device manager that could pertain to this. 

• Marked as answer by sixty4 Monday, August 17, 2009 12:27 AM
    Monday, August 17, 2009 12:26 AM

All replies

• Anyone?
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 11:08 AM
  • I have had all the issues getting WHS installed on my own hardware. It began with the infamous IO error, I took the forum advice and I picked up another DVD ROM Drive (Samsung) and it installed without any errors whatsoever. Now I have a new issue - My machine will not connect to my router, IE will not pull up the net

1. I have my hardware hard wired into my Verizon FIOS Actiontech M14240WR Router/Modem. This connects directly into the wall with no other hardware between it. I have unplugged my router and hoped for the best, my only config changes was to set a wireless password on my router.
    2. If I execute a IPCONFIG, nothing comes back at all: I type IPCONFIG, it displays Windows IP Configuraiton then brings me back to the C prompt.
    3. This is an out of the box and vanilla install. I have not configured anything other than the workgroup on my WHS
    4. I tried to follow the directions per this post @ http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/effb7772-1414-4e48-ae86-f5f4fa828470 and wasn't successful after a full reboot 2-3 times. This was me trying to set my own IP
    5. In reviewing the post in #2 above when I attempt to get to 192.168.1.1 from this working hard wired machine I get the login to my Verizon router in #1 above.
    6. If I select my 1394 Connection, it states: "Connected" and lists a duration, and a speed of 400.0 Mbps. however it shows zero packets Sent or Received.
    7. I disabled the firewall and still nothing... (argghhhh)
    8. WHen I look at my network from this machine, I do not see my WHS
    • If I select Repair Connection I get an error that states. "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the folowing action cannot be completed. Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed." I get this error when following the instructios in #2 above and when I ask TCP/IP to obtain its address automatically and DNS as well.
    I suspect (obviously I am not ) not pulling an IP from the router but I am not sure why? HELP!
    Did you install a driver for your NIC?  If you go to Device Manager, are there any devices with question marks/exclamation points next to them?
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:18 PM
  • Ok I ended up cleaning up my PC room, found an old ethernet card from 8-10 years ago, installed it and its working fine now. The OEM port worked fine when this was a SharePoint 2007 server 2 weeks ago? Kariya, thanks. I did not see any errors in the device manager that could pertain to this. 

• Marked as answer by sixty4 Monday, August 17, 2009 12:27 AM
    Monday, August 17, 2009 12:26 AM