Secondary data file - ndf RRS feed

• Question

• I have a database backup file - the backup file itself is around 70 GB .  It's comprised of one mdf  and ndf and log file.

The mdf and ndf combined are about double the size of the backup file itself. When the db is restored its taking up about twice the size of the backup causing space issues. 

The backup itself is on another server , not where the restored DB exists and to do the restore I used the restore from disk with 'move' command to move the three files to the drive where the restored db lives.

Question is whether after the restore is done can I remove the ndf file before I do an org import ? I'm attempting to upgrade a 4.0 database to 2011 but continually fail on space issues. I start with about 165 GB free and after the restore it still shows about 27 free but import still fails .

Robert

Sunday, February 16, 2014 11:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Robert

During upgrade the CRM database log file grows very big - you should have at least twice the size free disk space of your original DB size - if your DB is 140GB you need at least 280GB free space on the DB Drive.

Changing the DB Properties to simple mode might also help here.

you can read about it here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crminthefield/archive/2013/08/11/10357892.aspx

Michael

• Edited by TZ00KI Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:26 PM
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:24 PM
  • Thank you -

I have been changing it to simple mode. 

The implementation guide recommends 3x the org database size + 4 times the log file size.  In our case we have an mdf and ndf both at about 70 GB .  So following the recommendations it would seem we need (140 x 3) + (4 x log size)

I'm assuming I should include both the mdf and ndf file size here and not just the mdf correct?

Robert

Monday, February 17, 2014 3:04 PM