Damaged Drive/s RRS feed

• Question

• I have just moved home and while in transit one of my hard drives appears to have failed.  WHS try to complete a reinstallation but this failed and in the end I could do nothing but reinstall on one of the 3 original disks (Seagate 750MB).  When I now try to access data from the other two disks (not the one I formatted and used for the reinstallation) one appears to be readable but contains no useful data.  The other disk thinks it is has 4 partitions adding up to much more than its actual size (750MB).  I cannot read this data using explorer but is it possible the data (or at least some of the data) is still on this drive?  If so how do I go about recovering it?

Monday, August 11, 2008 3:46 PM

Answers

• Nick,

Any data that is on the drives will be stored in NTFS format, in a hidden folder. You will need to ensure that 'show hidden files and folders' is enabled to see the data.

Don't forget that some of what might appear to be data, will in fact be the pointers for the data.

Colin

Monday, August 11, 2008 5:14 PM

All replies

• Nick,

Any data that is on the drives will be stored in NTFS format, in a hidden folder. You will need to ensure that 'show hidden files and folders' is enabled to see the data.

Don't forget that some of what might appear to be data, will in fact be the pointers for the data.

Colin

Monday, August 11, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Ouch if the partition table is messed up (you should not be seeing 4 partitions, WHS formats the drive and creates one partition), you're likely not to retrieve any data. There are data recovery programs (not cheap) that can try and retrieve them for you, but I don't know how successful they are with a damaged partitions
    Friday, August 15, 2008 5:37 AM