Restore CD sessions fail, what next? RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS 2011 system will not restore a client if the backup size is too large.  I know this and have done all the requisite troubleshooting without resolution.  In the past I have worked around it performing bare metal restores by restoring in smaller increments (restore boot partition, then restore Windows partition, then restore recovery partition).  Unfortunately the Windows partition on the client I'm trying to restore is too big to restore in one session and the restore fails.  I need to know if there is a way to identify and copy/move a backup from the Windows Home Server hardware and put it on an external drive, then use some tool to recover it to the hard drive in the client PC.
    Sunday, December 30, 2012 1:19 AM

Answers

• I never did find the posts you referenced that show how to run a restore from the WHS, but given the hint that it's possible I found this web site that has detailed information that gave me the clues I needed:

http://connecteddigitalworld.com/2011/04/13/windows-home-server-2011-client-restore-wizard-video-edition/

Using their file path I created a desktop shortcut on the WHS screen that now allows me to flawlessly restore even large backups using a USB caddy.

I'm documenting this information so if someone else runs into a similar problem they have a direct link to the information. 

Just open the folder location shown on this Web site while logged into the desktop of your home server via RDP, then left-click and hold and drag the ClientRestoreWizard.exe icon out to the desktop, release the left mouse button and choose to create a shortcut.  Then double-click the shortcut to start the process.  You can run it directly from the folder but personally I advise making a shortcut.  If you need to do this once it's likely you'll need to do it again so save yourself the time and trouble of finding this post again.  :)

WARNING 1 - Don't be startled by the fact that the restore wizard says it's from Windows Server 2012 Essentials.  That is apparently part of the most recent server/client update package for WHS2011.

WARNING 2 - The restore wizard will ask for credentials (domain\username and password) to connect to the server before it will run the restore.  I used the default Administrator name and password and did not put in a domain name, just the username and password.

WARNING 3 - This takes a LOOOONG time.  The wizard will appear to freeze up several times - after selecting the backup to restore, and again after assigning the drives to be restored to the targets for restoration.  Don't get itchy - walk away and come back in a bit.  Be patient.  It DOES work.

Monday, December 31, 2012 1:02 PM

All replies

• What is the reason why the restore fails if the backup is too large? Any specific errors in the event logs? Can it be that your DHCP lease expires during the restore session?

An alternative restore method is to connect the drive to be restored directly as an external drive to a USB port on the server. Then run the ClientRestoreWizard on the server to restore the client. There are some threads in this forum that detail this process.

Good luck!

Luc.

Sunday, December 30, 2012 1:21 PM
  • I never did find the posts you referenced that show how to run a restore from the WHS, but given the hint that it's possible I found this web site that has detailed information that gave me the clues I needed:

http://connecteddigitalworld.com/2011/04/13/windows-home-server-2011-client-restore-wizard-video-edition/

Using their file path I created a desktop shortcut on the WHS screen that now allows me to flawlessly restore even large backups using a USB caddy.

I'm documenting this information so if someone else runs into a similar problem they have a direct link to the information. 

Just open the folder location shown on this Web site while logged into the desktop of your home server via RDP, then left-click and hold and drag the ClientRestoreWizard.exe icon out to the desktop, release the left mouse button and choose to create a shortcut.  Then double-click the shortcut to start the process.  You can run it directly from the folder but personally I advise making a shortcut.  If you need to do this once it's likely you'll need to do it again so save yourself the time and trouble of finding this post again.  :)

WARNING 1 - Don't be startled by the fact that the restore wizard says it's from Windows Server 2012 Essentials.  That is apparently part of the most recent server/client update package for WHS2011.

WARNING 2 - The restore wizard will ask for credentials (domain\username and password) to connect to the server before it will run the restore.  I used the default Administrator name and password and did not put in a domain name, just the username and password.

WARNING 3 - This takes a LOOOONG time.  The wizard will appear to freeze up several times - after selecting the backup to restore, and again after assigning the drives to be restored to the targets for restoration.  Don't get itchy - walk away and come back in a bit.  Be patient.  It DOES work.

Monday, December 31, 2012 1:02 PM