How may times can you reinstall Win XP on the same computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a upgrade version of Win Home edition XP I want to copy this on to a new hard drive and format the old hard drive but I have been informed.

That I will have to buy a new copy of the Upgrade disc when you all ready have the disc and you are only using it on one computer how can Microsoft not tell that only one computer is using one copy of the disc on the internet.

Regards Anthony.

Monday, June 12, 2006 2:11 AM

Answers

• Hi gus 19,

Following on with your problem as I had the same problem my self I just got a new hard drive and installed the windows xp home edition on that and formated my old drive.

What you can do is try a new hard drive or one from e-bay and install only the OS and see if that works then this may indicate a conflict or hard drive problem.

Regards Anthony.

Saturday, June 17, 2006 2:59 PM

All replies

• There is no limitation as to the number of times you are permitted to reinstall Windows XP on the same computer.
    Monday, June 12, 2006 2:25 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your help I have reinstalled the Windows xp home edition back on to my computer and it has now activated ok.

I think I may have had a problem with the hard drive or a program at the time.

You help has been appricated here thank you.

Monday, June 12, 2006 12:38 PM
  • >>There is no limitation as to the number of times you are permitted to reinstall Windows XP on the same computer.

Depends on what the definition of 'same computer' means to Microsoft.  I had to reflash my mb BIOS  ( no other hardware changes were made ) to fix problems and failed with both online and phone talk to the computer  activation. It took  a  bit of time and arguing with an actual person on the phone to get re-activated.

Monday, June 12, 2006 7:04 PM
  • Hi gus 19,

Following on with your problem as I had the same problem my self I just got a new hard drive and installed the windows xp home edition on that and formated my old drive.

What you can do is try a new hard drive or one from e-bay and install only the OS and see if that works then this may indicate a conflict or hard drive problem.

Regards Anthony.

Saturday, June 17, 2006 2:59 PM