Upgrading from 3.0 to 4.0 - Automating the outlook client uninstall process - anyone managed to? RRS feed

• Question

• Judging by the posts I'm reading, most people are having problems using the CRM 4.0 Outlook Client upgrade function to upgrade an outlook client from 3.0 to 4.0 - me included - didn't work for me in any of my testing.

So this leaves us having to uninstall the old client manually, including the database instance if the offline client is installed, remove the database files, and remove the CRM address book.

Has anyone found a way to automate the removal of the entire CRM 3.0 Outlook Client? I need to rollout the client accross a large number of desktops and laptops, all of which are spread across 4 cities, so suffice to say doing it myself will be less than ideal. I can't rely on the users to do it themselves either, for reasons that should be fairly obvious to most of us.

I have been working on a batch script that enacts the msiexec uninstall of both the client and the SQL instance, and then deletes the CRM folder along with the CRM database. I haven't yet figured out how to remove the address book (any tips?).

Trouble is, during my testng of this script, it doesn't always work - sometimes the SQL uninstall barfs with a very generic error message, and other times the CRM client does. I'm testing using a couple of virtual machines, so I can rollback to the same clean client install each time, so I wouldn't expect to get wildly different results given that the VM's are identical each and every time.

Love to hear if anyone has had any luck with automating this process. I can't be the only person that doesn't have the resources available to manually uninstall the client on every machine.

Regards

J.

PS. Will post a copy of my script shortly for comment.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 11:31 PM

Answers

• No, I didn't in the end. But what I did manage to do was rewrite my uninstall script to allow the CRM uninstaller to successfully remove the address book itself. It seems the issue with the address book not being deleted was that if Outlook had been running during that user session, the AB was locked and wouldn't delete. So having my script reboot the computer before uninstalling the client solved the problem.

In the interests of helping anyone else trying to do the same thing, I have published my finished uninstall package for use by others. It is pretty much entirely standalone, and can be quickly and easily prepared for your own use. You can download it here  (1.5MB RAR file)

I have included a readme file that details the package process, and also a contact address if you want to ask specific questions of me.

Regards
    Julian
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:45 PM

All replies

• For More see MS CRM Support section

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/12976

Regards,
    Imran

http://www.crmxperts.com

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:16 AM
  • Thanks for your response Imran, but I can't find anything at that link to help me out.

The closest thing I can find is the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949087/en-us which documents how to manually remove the 3.0 client, but this process is already known, and doesn't give any suggestions on how to automate it (which was the purpose of my post).

Anyone else got any ideas?

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 8:48 PM
  • FYI - My scripted uninstall currently looks like this...

# Ensure Outlook is not running by terminating service with SysInternals 'pskill' command

pskill -t Outlook

# Stop the SQL CRM Instance service  (not entirely sure if this is necessary)
    net stop MSSQL$CRM

# Passive uninstall of the existing 3.0 client - use of the start/wait command should mean batch process waits for uninstall to complete before proceeding
    start "CRM"  /wait msiexec /x "\\<OutlookClientInstallerPath>\Client.msi" /passive

# Uninstalls named (CRM) instance of SQL. Again, start/wait used to force batch process to wait for completion.
    start "SQL" /wait "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\setup.exe" /qb REMOVE=SQL_Engine,Client_Components INSTANCENAME=CRM

# Delete all files within the Microsoft CRM folder, including the folder itself
    rmdir "C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\" /q /s

# Delete the two CRM database files.
    del "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\MSCRM*.*" /q /f

It's not particularly elegant, but should do the trick, with the exception of removing the CRM Address Book (haven't got that bit sorted yet).

Appreciate any constructive comments on improving the above process.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:48 PM
  • Did you figure out how to remove the CRM Address Book?

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:46 AM
  • No, I didn't in the end. But what I did manage to do was rewrite my uninstall script to allow the CRM uninstaller to successfully remove the address book itself. It seems the issue with the address book not being deleted was that if Outlook had been running during that user session, the AB was locked and wouldn't delete. So having my script reboot the computer before uninstalling the client solved the problem.

In the interests of helping anyone else trying to do the same thing, I have published my finished uninstall package for use by others. It is pretty much entirely standalone, and can be quickly and easily prepared for your own use. You can download it here  (1.5MB RAR file)

I have included a readme file that details the package process, and also a contact address if you want to ask specific questions of me.

Regards
    Julian
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:45 PM
  • Thanks man! The script is great!

Monday, August 25, 2008 11:45 AM
  • Thanks Rubiinio

FYI - I've just updated the download package to install the light client if no existing client is present, so the package can now be used to deploy the client onto a 'clean' computer without modifying the script. If you want it to install the offline client, just change the goto target of line 149.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:55 PM
  • Hello Julian,

I'm going to upgrade a 3.0 server to 4.0 and I'm very interested in your script. Have you deleted it, because I'm not able to find it....?

Cheers

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 2:07 PM
  • Sorry Dnort - I smoked my webserver recently and restored from a backup that didn't include the crm package. Have put it back up now.

Minor caveat - I did encounter some issues with the script when I rolled it out to production, as a few computers had slightly messy setups (eg. had part of an old client still installed in addition to the one they were using), so in some cases the script failed to complete successfully.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Thanks!!

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 6:49 AM