Access read/write privileges to user for multiple business units RRS feed

• Question

• Firstly, the forum has been very helpful in finding answers to issues faced on a day to day basis.

We use CRM2011 and have a situation where users need to access and edit data, with users being required to work across more than one office.

Scenario:

We want two users belonging to one business unit in CRM to be able to read, create and edit leads and opportunities belonging to a different business unit.

Currently they are able to read enquiries from other business units but not edit them. They can’t see any leads at all from other business units therefore unable to edit. 

The two users are part of the business unit A and need to be able to work as described within the business unit B as well.

What is the best possible way to achieve this?

Would adding the users to the new business unit, then updating their security roles solve the problem?

If so, what will I need to set the privileges to?

Thank you.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 10:17 AM

Answers

• Well, part of your issue is CRM 2011 doesn't have a full security hierarchy implementation like CRM 2015 does.  So that can limit your options.

Sharing records can cross business units, but again, it's bad for performance if you're doing it all the time.  You will see an impact in the speed of CRM as time goes on, and the sharing table grows.

Your best bet is going to be to find a way to use parent/child business units, and accept that some people will see more than you might want them to on the leads side of things, because you need them to see more on the Opp side of things.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Marked as answer by alihs86 Wednesday, August 12, 2015 9:36 PM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:47 PM

All replies

• So you could share the Opps they need to alter, but that's laborious, and not a good solution for system performance.

If you move them to the other Business Unit, they will lost access to their current business unit.  If that's an issue, you're not solving the problem, you're just moving it.

As another option, you could set up a business unit above the two business units they need access to, and then move the people that need access to both to that BU.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

• Proposed as answer by Wayne Walton Thursday, August 6, 2015 12:52 PM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 12:52 PM
  • Thank you for the prompt response. <o:p></o:p>

When sharing the records, would it affect if the users belonged to different business units.<o:p></o:p>

Security roles are setup such that users can only read leads from their own business unit but can read opportunities from other business units too.<o:p></o:p>

Using teams might be a short term solution, while I try and figure out using security roles and business units in a hierarchical structure.<o:p></o:p>

Are there any good resources to look at to help me get on with this?

Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:29 PM
  • Well, part of your issue is CRM 2011 doesn't have a full security hierarchy implementation like CRM 2015 does.  So that can limit your options.

Sharing records can cross business units, but again, it's bad for performance if you're doing it all the time.  You will see an impact in the speed of CRM as time goes on, and the sharing table grows.

Your best bet is going to be to find a way to use parent/child business units, and accept that some people will see more than you might want them to on the leads side of things, because you need them to see more on the Opp side of things.

• Marked as answer by alihs86 Wednesday, August 12, 2015 9:36 PM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:47 PM