How do you upgrade Server without losing Drive Data? RRS feed

• Question

• G'Day Folks - Just obtained a Dell 470 with 2x Intel Xeon CPUs, @ 3.4 GHz and 4 GBs of Ram.  I would like to migrate the 3 TBs of hard drives from my present WHS (a dear old LanParty Ultra 400).  Needed the extra horsepower to handle downloads from security cameras and a weather stn.

Glad to read the previous threads that mention the System drive no longer has to be the biggest, so I will use a 350 as the new system drive and save the 500, 750 and 1 TB drives for data drives.  I have installed WHS  on the Dell 470's 80 GB just to check it out and it seems to work great.  So now how do I do the transfer from the LanParty WHS to the Dell 470 without losing all of my backups?

Thanks in advance,
    Chuckles G
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 7:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You cannot add existing WHS drives to a new WHS directly, so you have two options:
    One, add your 'old' drives to your new server, then boot from the server DVD and select the re-install option, this will only install the operating system and will leave your data untouched. The downside is that you will need to either ensure that the correct drivers are available, also, the final portion of this install can take quite some time, especially if you have a large amount of data, as it rebuilds all the appropriate pointers/tombstones etc.

The second method, especially now that you have installed the operating system, is to add one drive to the server, but DO NOT add it to the storage pool. If you have a KVM, you will just then need to transfer your data from this drive to the 'new' shared folders. Once that is complete, you can then add that drive to the storage pool and repeat with your other data drives.

Note however, that according to the EULA, you cannot move the WHS software from one hardware setup to another, the licence is tied to the one set of hardware. This is however, not enforced, (or wasn't) but you may need to activate by telephone.

As far as your backups, after you have added your Clients etc - ensuring the details are identical - you could try copying the appropriate backups across to the new location, the details are available in the Home Computer Backup document. There is no certainty that this will work, so you may just need to run a new backup from each Client.

Good luck,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 5:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You cannot add existing WHS drives to a new WHS directly, so you have two options:
    One, add your 'old' drives to your new server, then boot from the server DVD and select the re-install option, this will only install the operating system and will leave your data untouched. The downside is that you will need to either ensure that the correct drivers are available, also, the final portion of this install can take quite some time, especially if you have a large amount of data, as it rebuilds all the appropriate pointers/tombstones etc.

The second method, especially now that you have installed the operating system, is to add one drive to the server, but DO NOT add it to the storage pool. If you have a KVM, you will just then need to transfer your data from this drive to the 'new' shared folders. Once that is complete, you can then add that drive to the storage pool and repeat with your other data drives.

Note however, that according to the EULA, you cannot move the WHS software from one hardware setup to another, the licence is tied to the one set of hardware. This is however, not enforced, (or wasn't) but you may need to activate by telephone.

As far as your backups, after you have added your Clients etc - ensuring the details are identical - you could try copying the appropriate backups across to the new location, the details are available in the Home Computer Backup document. There is no certainty that this will work, so you may just need to run a new backup from each Client.

Good luck,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 5:43 PM
  • Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I will be reinstalling WHS to a 320GB HD ( I only installed it on an 80 GB just to ensure WHS would work ok on the Dell 470), so I will try your 'option A' first just as long as it doesn't remove my backups, (some of my backups are from old hard drives that have been long deleted but I keep the BU locked so it can't be deleted - therefore just running a backup of all the Clients would not recover all of the data that is presently backed-up in my WHS).

Maybe I'll just keep my present LanParty System as the WHS and used the Dell 470 to capture the security cameras videos and handle the weather station seperately - Gadzooks my wife's gonna freak that now makes 9 computers in the house and there's only 2 of us ;o)

Cheers,
    Chuckles

Life is a difficult Teacher - First the test - Then the lesson...
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 11:50 PM