Cannot connect to homeserver RRS feed

• Question

• I have the HP Mediasmartserver and big problems with connector software. Now I'm using it with Vista business, but I had similar problems in XP as well. The connector software installation is not able to locate homeserver. It went once through (after several trials) but then again the connection failed next time when I started the pc and since then no luck. I have tried to install it again, with no succes. Router and homeserver restarted several times. Tried with and without pc-firewall. Connctor toolkit I have tried as well, but the answers are of no help. It just finds out what I already know: cannot connect to homeserver.  No domain is in use in the pc. Workgroup is workgroup and the network search is on. Remote desktop works fine through the browser, so the homeserver is there.

The homeserver answers to ping, but nslookup cannot find it. So that is the problem - but how to cure it?

can anyone help?

Teijo
    Friday, October 17, 2008 9:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    what is the output of
    ipconfig /all
    entered in a command prompt on the client and server?
    (To the server desktop you log in by using Remote Desktop client and entering the name or the IP address of your server. Use Administrator as account name and the console password.)

Is the router the DNS server? If not, try to change that:
    • In Vista open Network and Sharing Center and click Manage Network connections on the left side.
    • Right click the current LAN connection and click Properties.
    • Doubleclick on TCP/IPv4.
    • Enter the routers internal IP address as DNS server and click Advanced.
    • On the DNS tab remove any suffix (and you can also remove the checkbox Register this connection's addresses in DNS, if you want).
    • Click on the WINS tab and toggle NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
    • Confirm the changes.
    • If you have multiple network adapters, click Advanced/Advanced settings in the Manage Network connections menu bar.
    • Bring the used network connection to the top position.
    • Do the same changes on the Windows Home Server, but you get directly to the Network icon through Control Panel. (Maybe you wish also to change the IP address of the server to a static address, if you are here. This will cause your Remote Desktop to loose the connection, until you reconnect to the new address. On the clients you will have to run discovery.exe from Program Files\Windows Home Server to get back a connection after such change.)
    • Reboot both machines, first the server, then the client.
    In some rare occasions this DNS server change may cut the Internet connection, but normally the router should forward DNS queries to the DNS server of your ISP.
    In this case it may help to alter the hosts file on the client as a workaround.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, October 17, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Guten Abend von Finland,

I can only get the remote connection  to the homeserver through the browser, not with Remote Desktop of my computer. So I only know the IP address, which is 88.113.19.103. Remote Desktop of Windows Accessories is not able to connect WHS, not with the name nor IP-address. However, the server answers to ping with IP-address.  I wonder how it the ip-addres is different form the ip-addres of my pc?

As result I was not able to change the Ip-config of the WHS.

My computer gives following answer to ipconfig:

Yhteyskohtainen DNS-liite: elisa-laajakaista.fi
    Kuvaus: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Fyysinen osoite: 00-1B-77-34-24-B4
    DHCP käytössä: Kyllä
    IPv4 IP-osoite: 91.152.171.48
    IPv4 Aliverkon peite: 255.255.240.0
    Osoite myönnetty: 26. lokakuuta 2008 20:08:49
    Käyttölupa vanhenee: 26. lokakuuta 2008 22:23:49
    IPv4 Oletusyhdyskäytävä: 91.152.160.1
    IPv4 DHCP-palvelin: 193.229.28.26
    IPv4 DNS-palvelimet: 193.229.0.40, 193.229.0.42
    IPv4 WINS-palvelin:
    NetBIOS TCP/IP:n kautta on käytössä: Kyllä

Trotzdem es auf Finnish ist denke ich du kannst es verstehen...

My Router is not DNS server. The internet connection is Bridge-type , and the DNS server is provided by the internet service provider. I believe this is one of the problems. If I change the DNS server to the ip-adress of my router, that is one of these rare occasions you mentioned, and I loose the Internet connection. So what do you mean with "alter the hosts file on the client"?

Regards Teijo
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 8:18 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly, you need to run ipconfig /all from a command prompt, this will give the required info.

What happens if the Clients and the Server use external DNS servers, is that they will look out on the internet for the computer, rather than inside.

For example, the initial part of a Client report will be:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Colin-PC
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Home

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Home
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-E8-98-06-AD
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a483:694e:a24d:7b67%9(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.120(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 24 October 2008 20:07:13
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 03 December 2144 02:52:22
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Note that this Client is looking to the routers IP address for other computers, and, as long as your router has external DNS server addresses, then you will not loose any internet connection.

There is a way of adding the server IP address to your Hosts file on each Client. However, while this might well work, it isn't really a satisfactory way of doing things, and could well render restores etc impossible.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 8:30 PM
  • Hello Teijo,
    this is one of the more strange TCP/IP configurations I have ever seen, either due to serious misconfiguration or due to very special configuration of your ISP.
    Issue: The addresses assigned by your router are not from the range assigned for a private network, so it seems you have a fixed IP address directly in the Internet on your own. It is even possible, that only your PC gets an IP address from the outer world, and your WHS not. Definitively name resolution will become a problem.

All normal scenarios have inside the home network private addresses either starting with 10 or with 172 or 192. The difference of these addresses to those used in your configuration is, that the home internal traffic is not directed to or from the Internet and the router is a front line protection against attacks from the Internet. Only the router should have an external address, which may also be a fixed one. So you may have to perform a lot of affords for keeping your home network secure. You should see, if it is possible to reconfigure your router in a way, that it does not perform bridging, but instead real routing between the ISPs network and your home network.

Regarding the Remote Desktop you could try to change the Windows Firewall scope for the Remodedesktop exception to All networks instead of subnet only. But of course this can not be done, if all computers have already external addresses, which may not be subnetted in the same way, since the HP machine gives you no chance to connect with monitor locally. And you don't know it's IP address. There would be a way to disable the Windows Firewall blind (if the HP machine supports an USB keyboard) but with a possible direct Internet connected system this would call for instant trouble.

Check the routers manual, if it offers a method to reconfigure your network.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 8:43 PM